Bob shows Mohinder his "own private Fort Knox".
|Originally held by:||Bob Bishop (deceased)|
|Ability to:||Change the molecular composition of any material to gold|
Alchemy is the ability to transform the chemical composition of materials to gold. This ability can also be used to change any matter into any other type of matter, provided that it doesn’t break the law of conservation of mass, although it is usually converted to gold it is capable of producing other elements and compounds.
- Bob Bishop was the only character known to have this ability naturally. (Four Months Later...)
- Sylar has stolen this ability from Bob. (The Butterfly Effect)
Bob has the ability to change the composition of objects. According to a blurb about him on the assignment tracker map, Bob can turn objects only into gold. The amount of mass he can affect at one time is unknown, though he has turned an adult male named Hampton Connolly entirely into gold (The Golden Goose). After transmutation, Hampton Connolly was carried out by four men on a stretcher, suggesting his weight may not have been significantly increased. However, it is not known whether only a shell of Hampton's form was left after transformation or whether the gold Hampton was transformed to weighed less than standard gold.
It is not yet known if there are materials Bob cannot transform. So far he has only used it to transform solids, it is unknown if it is possible to affect liquids or gases with this ability.
Since Bob's power does not automatically affect anything he touches, it must require some concentration to use.
Bob takes an ordinary teaspoon and transmutes it into gold.
(Four Months Later...)
Bob transforms Hampton Connolly's arm...
...and then, Bob melts him.
(The Golden Goose)
"Look, the type of research you're talking about is extremely expensive."
"Trust me. That won't be a problem. Let's just say we have our own private Fort Knox."
"Look what your daddy used to be able to do."
- The name "alchemy" comes from Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite, who used the term to describe Bob's ability in a CBR Q&A interview.
- Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite originally held that Bob could transmute materials into substances other than gold. However, this thinking appears to have been changed. The assignment tracker map later claimed he could only convert things into gold, and Bob's ability has never been depicted as anything other than changing materials into gold. Also, Sylar turned a gun into gold while telling Elle that this was what her father could do.
- The password that Elle enters into Bob's computer in Powerless is "MIDAS". In Greek mythology, Midas was a king whose greed led the god Dionysus to curse him with the "ability" to turn everything he touched to gold -- including his own daughter.
- Peter has been in close proximity to Bob, but did not display this ability before losing his original one.
- For the ability to turn things into sand, see granulation.
- For the ability to become gold, see gold mimicry.
- Alchemy -- Wikipedia