|Portrayed by||Jim Martin|
|First appearance||From the Files of Primatech, Part 1|
|Known ability||Enhanced synesthesia|
|Formal name||Christopher Coolidge|
|Date of birth||February 23, 1939|
|Place of birth||Worcester, MA|
|Date of death||July 12, 1963|
|Home||New York, NY|
|Other relatives||Emma Coolidge (niece), |
Christopher (great nephew, deceased)
Chris Coolidge was a musician who preformed in Greenwich Village in 1963. Chris was shot dead during a riot that he started after one of his concerts was interrupted. He was an evolved human with the power of enhanced synesthesia.
- 1 Character History
- 2 Heroes Evolutions
- 3 Evolved Human Abilities
- 4 Songs
- 5 Notes
- 6 Trivia
On July 12, 1963 in West Greenwich Village, Chris is performing at a place called Uncle Ira's. While Bob Bishop considers his lyrics slightly ridiculous, Charles Deveaux seems to be enjoying the music. Chris finishes his song and tells the crowd that the next song was written for his little sister, who just entered nursing school. The future Company remarks that, while he doesn't seem like much of a musician, he's still "great at it". Later, several police officers interrupt the show, claiming that the room is over capacity. Chris says that this is the third time they've done this to him, and the woman next to him claims that they don't like the message he's sending. A fight ensues, and Chris sends a blast of sound out, saying that they will start a riot.
Chris runs from the Uncle Ira's and encourages his mob to fight on. Under his influence, the mob causes massive damage. As Chris encourages his people, Angela Shaw, Daniel Linderman and Charles Deveaux tell him to make it stop. Chris notices that they are right and that many people are dying. He moves to stop the fight but Kaito Nakamura tries to stop him. Chris says that he cannot speak Japanese and tells Kaito not to worry, as people tend to "listen to him". Chris tries to play his harmonica to stop the fight, but he is shot dead before Kaito can reach him.
Mindy Sprague remembers Chris as one of her favorite musicians.
The case file also contains a psychological profile on Chris:
Chris had the ability of enhanced synesthesia (referred to as empathic manipulation in his assignment tracker), which enabled him see sound waves as light and meld his emotions with music, effectively drawing large amounts of people to him. Chris apparently used his ability to draw crowds of thousands to his concerts. While being able to see sound, Chris could also produce destructive blasts of sound, as he did with a strike of his guitar. (From the Files of Primatech, Part 1).
According to his Assignment Tracker file, Chris's biological level was 70, his cerebral was 80, his elemental was 15, his temporal/spatial was 50, and his control index was 73%.
Chris sings two songs in From the Files of Primatech, Part 1. The first song ends with
|Everyone came, got their new frontier|
John F.K. and Birch sat on down for a beer
Ol' Peter Pan stole the shadow of Captain Hook
and four little girls died in the ashes of the book.
His second song, dedicated to his sister, begins with
|I hit the dusty pavement, just to sell some who-cares-what|
Tellin' all those mommas how to get out of their rut
They say, "Listen here, sonny. I do not like your show."
So I responded, "Just you wait to see how fast it goes."
'Cause once your mister gets ahold with that look in his eye
Just use some of my product and you'll have a whole new guy
With just another minute you will save your hair its curlin'
By lightin' up your underwire and settin' those pups burnin'
You'll let your old man know damn well that you need a break
And if that doesn't work, you can just fake a good headache.
- Whether intentionally or unintentionally, Chris seemed to be using his ability for personal gain. According to the Primatech notes accompanying the novel, Chris had only arrived in New York two months prior to the opening of the file, yet had amassed a following larger than most rival local musicians. According to Lyta Samson of The Village Voice, "being around him just feels good".
- According to writer Howie Kaplan, "Chris is Emma's uncle. Her nephew, Christopher, was named after him." Later, it was revealed that Chris and Dr. Coolidge were siblings.
- From a post on A Hero's Quest, one can discover that Chris Coolidge has an Assignment Tracker 2.0 profile, number P013. In fact, this file number can be seen both on a ticket stub and Chris's record. The profile's password is CChcg10kn (as seen on the record), although no such profile was available at the time the blog post was published on March 2, 2010. The profile was released almost a month later, on March 29, 2010.
- Chris's Assignment Tracker profile lists Chris's ability as empathic manipulation, despite an in depth detail of the ability clearly describing enhanced synesthesia. When the profile was first released, the diagram of the ability was the diagram for electric manipulation (from case file C023). Later, the diagram was changed to a diagram for an ability called "biological empathic manipulation" (though it was from case file A015, not P013).
- In addition to the ability mistakes on Chris's Assignment Tracker profile, the profile also made two other notable mistakes. First, the profile originally listed Chris as a female (though this was later corrected). Second, the profile lists his place of birth as Worcester, MA, yet his personal history says he was "born and raised in Missoula, Montana." (Of course, this second mistake could be seen as being correct, assuming Chris was born in Worcester, but then moved soon thereafter to Missoula.)
- As a person, or simply as a reference, Chris is referenced in all four of the From the Files of Primatech graphic novel pairs. In the 1963 arc, he appeared as a character. In the 1978 arc, Mindy Sprague lists Chris as one of her favorite singers. In the 1988 arc, a radio DJ pays homage to the late singer. In the 1991 arc, Bob plays one of Chris's songs.
- Chris's birthday is February 23, 1939. Jim Martin (who portrays Chris in his Assignment Tracker 2.0 profile) and Bill Hooper were also born on February 23.