Sylar "sees" the history of Claire's necklace by touching it.
|Originally held by:||Bridget Bailey (deceased)|
|Ability to:||Perceive the history of an object|
|Examples of clairsentience|
Clairsentience, also referred to as psychometry or psychometrics, is the ability to perceive the history of an object or person by touching it.
- Bridget Bailey originally had this ability. (Heroes Evolutions)
- Sylar has stolen this ability from Bridget. (One of Us, One of Them)
By touching an object, Bridget Bailey is capable of having visions about the past of the object. However, she initially reported having difficulties in controlling her ability; she involuntarily saw flashes of her clothes being manufactured in a factory. The intensity of such visions can vary, ranging from "mental images" and "dream-like visions" to a realistic "out-of-body" experience. Later, Bridget seemed to have greater control of her ability and was capable of having a vision while maintaining consciousness outside of her vision. She reported being capable of collecting the "surface memory" of an object, or with enough concentration, searching deeper into the object's past.
Bridget believes that her power seems to lessen or not work at all if the object is too old.
Bridget has not yet mentioned if she can touch multiple objects at one time, and experience their effects simultaneously. It's also unknown if she can use her ability on people, although she can touch an object to see people who interacted with it.
Sylar was able to see at least some of Claire's history by touching her. He experienced the pain he inflicted on her by attacking her (Angels and Monsters). While Sylar was confronted by Nathan, Sylar told Nathan he knew everything about his life and told him that Angela helped him get an ability that allows him to see the history of an object he touches. He held up a jacket that Nathan wore when he "betrayed everyone." (I Am Sylar)
While disguised as Nathan, he is able to see that Claire and Nathan spent some time together in Mexico by touching her necklace (An Invisible Thread). He was also able to identify Liam Samuels by shaking his hand. Sylar implies that he can use this power to absorb all of a person's memories, but only if they are conscious. He is unable to absorb Nathan's full set of memories because he was still unconscious from Danko's taser darts, so instead he absorbs bits and pieces of Nathan's life story from the objects around his office. Apparently he likely got most of it as he was able to be turned into Nathan with Nathan's memories and this power could apparently fill in the gaps by providing him with information that he didn't have through objects he would touch. This was shown in Acceptance when Sylar touched a toy plane. This caused him to "remember" playing with it as a kid, but it also made Sylar suspicious. In fact, one of the memories of Nathan's that Sylar saw was one that was erased by the Haitian. That's because Sylar didn't "see" the memory in Nathan's brain, but he saw the memory that was "stored" in Nathan's baseball cap and in the diving board at the Houstons' home. Later, when Sylar (as Nathan) touched the real Nathan's body, he was shown the real Nathan's death and Matt Parkman turning Sylar into Nathan. (Brother's Keeper)
- On July 19, 2007, Bridget talks of touching a wooden chair, and seeing the carpenter working on the creation of the chair.
- On August 22, 2007, Bridget had a vision during court that was so realistic, she seemed to leave the courtroom, and become the attacker of a female victim in a London park. It was so realistic, that when she came out of the vision, her emotional reaction caused her to vomit.
- On September 5, 2007, Bridget experienced a new characteristic to her visions--sound--while using a public telephone.
- On September 12, 2007, Bridget touched the Watch House, a historical building on Gilsper Street in London, and had a vision that seemed to be back in time, and in the presence of noted attorney Charles Lamb.
- On September 26, 2007, Bridget attempts to use her ability at Lincoln's Inn, on the keystone and some antique books and gets nothing. She thinks that those objects may be too old, for her to read. Because of this, Bridget visits an antique shop to see what results she will have there. She notes that some objects she did get visions on, but nothing very powerfully.
- On October 17, 2007, Bridget has success using her ability on Vince's receipt, seeing him have a meeting with an unnamed young woman, however, the effects are causing migraines, and hallucinations. Bridget tells Mohinder that they are getting to the point where she is having trouble distinguishing them from reality.
- On October 31, 2007, Bridget explained that she discovered a new way to use her ability on some of the items in the room that might have been touched recently; light switches, door handles, desk drawers etc. She found out that she can read 'surface memories' off an item, this gives her a vision of the last person to touch it. When she tried to get a reading off of the door lock, she got a vision of a district judge taking a key hidden on top of a bookcase, and unlocking the door with it. When she looked for it, she found the key, just as the vision had placed it.
- Bridget tells Chandra that her experiences seem to match the clairsentience power documented in a chapter of Activating Evolution. In her second email to Chandra, Bridget admits the frequency of her visions are increasing.
- Bridget doesn't have to know the people connected to an object to have her vision.
- Bridget Bailey's power of clairsentience (the ability to perceive the history of an object) should not be confused with Molly Walker's power of clairvoyance (the ability to see people not in her presence).
- Clairsentience is formed from terms that mean "clear feeling". It is a broad term that describes multiple phenomena, including psychometry.
- According to a recent BTE interview, Sylar was originally meant to use clairsentience on Big Jim's Franks & Fries to discover the fate of his mother. However this plot point was ultimately disregarded.
- Despite Sylar briefly touching Arthur Petrelli's hand in Eris Quod Sum when Arthur helps him to his feet after falsely claiming to be his father, Sylar is unable to acquire any memories from Arthur revealing Arthur's deception of him. In contrast, much later in An Invisible Thread Sylar is able to quickly learn Liam Samuels' name simply by shaking his hand.
- When the ability's effects are described to Peter by "Nathan", he refers to this ability as psychometrics. (Acceptance)
- According to a blog post from writer Ollie Grigsby, Sylar used "his object-memory ability on Gretchen's stuff." That's how he knew Gretchen was Claire's roommate. (Pass/Fail)
- This ability was introduced by BBC in its mirror of Heroes Evolutions information. It was subsequently included on NBC.com as part of Heroes Evolutions.
Bridget Bailey makes a clairsentient connection with this plaque of Charles Lamb.
After touching a poolside statue at the Houstons' home...
After touching Nathan's dead body...
Please refer to Theory:Clairsentience for fan-created theories and other speculation.