DC Comics's logo
|First reference:||The Crane|
DC Comics is an American comic book line operated by Time Warner.
- 1 About
- 2 References
- 3 Heroes Evolutions
- 4 Memorable Quotes
- 5 Notes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See Also
- 8 External Links
DC Comics is one of the largest and best known American comic book publishers. DC is responsible for some of pop culture's best known comic book super heroes, including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Wonder Twins, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and their teammates in the Justice League of America.
The initials "DC" were an abbreviation for the original name of "Detective Comics", but DC was later adapted to be the company's official name. DC comics was founded in 1934 by Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson.
In Lawrence, Hiro says that every town and city around the world has a place where the wise men gather--like the Hall of Justice. The Hall of Justice is the headquarters of the Super Friends and the new headquarters of the Justice League.
At Sam's Comics, Sam explains to Hiro that he doesn't need to be a millionaire like Batman or an alien like Superman in order to be a hero. Additionally, the store has issues of Wow Comics on display.
Ando refers to himself as "Batman", saying that Batman fights alone. When he compares Hiro to Superman, he says that his being unfrozen in time is like Batman being in Superman's Fortress of Solitude. Finally, Hiro tells Ando that even Batman needs a partner.
- Hiro ends another blog entry with "in brightest day, in blackest night", referring to Green Lantern's oath.
- Hiro signs off, "Great hera," one of Wonder Woman's catchphrases.
- Excited about meeting other evolved humans, Hiro blogs, "Soon we will be the Justice League of America! Actually it would be Justice League International." However, because Isaac's apartment is in New York City and not in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island (the first location of the Justice League of America), or in Detroit, Michigan (the location of the League's main bunker), he settles on calling the group of evolved humans the Justice Society of America, who kept a headquarters in New York.
- In a February 10, 2010, message, Hiro signs off, "In brightest day and blackest night". This is very close to Green Lantern's oath.
"Up, up and away!"
"It's going to be you and me from here on out. Partners."
"You mean like Batman & Robin?"
"Yeah, like Batman & Robin. Only, I ain't wearing no tights."
- Heroes pays significant homage to Alan Moore's Watchmen:
- The pending destruction of New York City is a shared theme.
- Sylar and Dr. Manhattan: Before he becomes Dr. Manhattan, Jon Osterman is a watchmaker's son, just like Gabriel Gray.
- Sylar says "That's okay, to just be a normal watchmaker" (The Hard Part). Chapter Four of Watchmen, which relates Dr. Manhattan's origin story, ends with the Albert Einstein quote, "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking... The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."
- According to Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite, Kirby Plaza is named for Jack Kirby, the well-known DC artist.
- DC Comics released a book of bound graphic novels (Issues 1 to 43) with art by Tim Sale, and new covers by Jim Lee and Alex Ross.
- Sam (and Sam's Comics) is named after Sam Loeb, Jeph Loeb's son, and the writer of Superman/Batman, Issue #26, The Boys Are Back in Town.
- A number of the Heroes crew have also worked for DC Comics.
- Props: Tim Sale, Dave Stewart
- Artists: Adam Archer Dennis Calero, Michael Gaydos, Tom Grummett, Phil Jimenez, Staz Johnson, Jim Lee, Dan Panosian, Alex Ross, JG Roshell, Koi Turnbull, Michael Turner
- Editors/Producers: Nanci Quesada
- Colorists: Brian Buccellato, Edgar Delgado, Richard Isanove, David Moran, Eric Nguyen, Beth Sotelo, Peter Steigerwald
- Writers: Christine Boylan, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Chuck Kim, Duncan Rouleau, Mark Sable, Steven T. Seagle
- Aron Eli Coleite helped develop the Wonder Woman prequel Amazon for The CW.
- Ken Choi portrayed Yakuza Boss in Suicide Squad. Michael Murray portrayed Admiral Burns in the same film.
- Greg Grunberg portrayed the recurring role of Tom Patterson, a police detective, in The CW's The Flash. Sendhil Ramamurthy portrayed the villain Bloodwork on the same series.
...both echoing the cover of Batman, #608.
Sam's Comics carries many issues, including Wow Comics, which eventually became part of DC Comics.
- For references to DC Comics's character Superman, see Superman.
- For references to DC Comics's character Batman, see Batman.
DC Comics -- Official Website
|Other References: References to Books and Authors • References to Films • References to Games • References to Heroes • References to Other Works • References to Television • References to People • Miscellaneous References|