Charlie helps out with a crossword puzzle.
|Originally held by:||Charlie Andrews, |
Matt Neuenberg (deceased)
|Absorbed by:||Sylar (original timeline, lost)|
|Ability to:||Quickly absorb and accurately retain great amounts of information|
|Examples of enhanced memory|
Enhanced memory (also referred to as eidetic memory or enhanced thought processing) is the ability to quickly absorb, perfectly retain, and immediately utilize immense amounts of information. Users can remember and recall everything that they have ever experienced, encountered, or learned, even things they learned before their ability has activated. User can process unlimited amounts of information, and can process a large amount of simultaneous calculations.
- Charlie Andrews is the first known person to have this ability. (Seven Minutes to Midnight)
- Matt Neuenberg naturally possessed this ability. (The Man with Too Much Brains)
- Originally, Sylar stole this ability from Charlie (Road Kill), but lost it after being infected by the Shanti virus (Kindred). He never acquired this ability in the new timeline in which Charlie is saved by Hiro (Once Upon a Time in Texas).
- According to Trevor Tanaka's Heroes: Survival profile, he possesses this ability.
- According to Katherine Murry's Heroes: Survival profile, she possesses the ability of "enhanced thought processing".
- According to Pacy McNeil's Heroes: Survival profile, he manifested "photographic memory and reflexes" after an eclipse.
The limits of what a character with this power may remember are not yet known. To date, all of the examples shown are based on information the user has read; whether other information can be recalled is unknown. However, Charlie did state that she was able to remember things whether she wanted to or not.
Charlie was able to remember everything she read since she first manifested this power. She was also able to comprehend and use the knowledge gained almost immediately.
Charlie has the ability to remember everything that has happened in her entire life. She can memorize books word for word that she read in elementary school. She even remembers the night her parents died in a car crash when she was only six months old. After learning of her blood clot, Charlie suggested that the clot could be the source of her powers. (Saving Charlie) Sylar also suggested this, but it was proven not to be so as she retained the ability even after the clot was removed. (Once Upon a Time in Texas, Brave New World)
When her aneurysm started to burst, Charlie started to absently recite random information about a Japanese city. She was also able to instantly diagnose what was wrong with her through the information she had memorized on her condition. (Once Upon a Time in Texas)
Sixty-five years after being trapped back in 1944, Charlie was still able to remember being what the weather was like when she was trapped there. (Brave New World)
In an alternate timeline, Sylar possessed this ability due to killing Charlie Andrews. As a result, Sylar was able to read the owner's manual for a tractor-trailer and immediately use that knowledge to drive the vehicle.
According to the testing the Company has done on him, Matt Neuenberg has the capability of remembering great amounts of information. With the aid of a goggle device, Matt is able to store an entire mainframe computer's worth of data and have his brain be a makeshift backup drive. (Hana and Drucker's Plot Discovered)
"If you really want to test me, you oughta ask if I remember your credit-card numbers."
"Very! Good! Memory!"
"Yeah, I remember lots and lots. It's just something that my brain started doing lately, whether I want it to or not."
"Lately, I've just been able to remember everything."
"You have power, big memory."
- In a blog entry, Hiro described Charlie's power as being "like Wikipedia, Google, my own Jeeves," referring to popular search engines and online encyclopedias.
- In an interview, writer R.D. Hall said, "I'd say [Charlie's power] is more just her remembering anything--whatever she reads, whatever she sees. Matt's is all visual...Matt is more like a card reader. You put in an SD card, he'll read it." However, Elle states that Matt is also an audible learner (Hana and Drucker's Plot Discovered).
- According to Heroes: Survival, Pacy McNeil has the ability of "photographic memory and reflexes". It is unknown if this ability refers to enhanced memory, adoptive muscle memory, or a different ability altogether.
- Hiro has traveled in time and altered the timeline, so Sylar didn't kill Charlie and never acquired her ability. Instead, he used his own abilities to save Charlie as part of a deal with Hiro.
- According to Heroes Interactive, Charlie can not only remember information she receives, but can also quickly synthesize it.
- Heroes: The Official Magazine refers to this ability as "accelerated learning" and "eidetic memory". The Heroes Reborn app also refers to this ability as "eidetic memory".
- In Saving Charlie, it says, "Maybe [Charlie] had always been this way, always remembered lunch orders for a dozen people without writing them down. Never forgot anyone's birthday, and rattled off the phone numbers of everyone she knew without batting an eye" (Chapter 11). It's unknown if these examples are illustrative generic examples, or if they are actually examples of Charlie using her ability.
- For other uses of memory, see memory (disambig).