In the future, New York City has been destroyed.
|Date of event:||Multiple possible futures|
Hiro wanders through New York City and finds a comic depicting the events that led him to the city. He goes to find the artist, Isaac Mendez, but instead finds his dead body. The top of his head has been cut off. Hiro is then attacked by police officers and during an interrogation, he learns that he has time-traveled five weeks into the future. He then hears a loud noise and turns to the window. A large explosion is crashing through the city and seconds before Hiro is hit, he time travels away.
Five years after the explosion, Hiro saves a woman named Sparrow. Upon returning to his loft, he works on a timeline consisting of strings, pictures, and articles of past events. Hiro thinks about his past, amongst which he narrates:
- Sylar was the cause of the explosion on November 8th.
- The explosion occurs the day after Nathan Petrelli is elected into congress.
- Hiro attempts to kill Sylar to prevent the tragedy.
- Hiro finds the date he believes he needs to go back to in order to contact Peter Petrelli without causing a rift. He hopes this will be enough to change the future.
The timeline in this episode includes the effects of Future Hiro's actions in String Theory and is consistent with the events of all previous episodes. Prior to the events of this episode, the following events occur between November 8, 2006 and November 8, 2011:
- The explosion destroys New York City on November 8, the day after Nathan Petrelli is elected to congress. Peter Petrelli causes the explosion, but Sylar is blamed.
- Sylar murders Candice Willmer and gains the power of illusion.
- Sylar gains the power of phasing from D.L. Hawkins.
- Sylar murders Nathan Petrelli, gains the power of flight, and becomes President of the United States by impersonating Nathan.
- Homeland Security enforces draconian policies of registration and monitoring for evolved humans. These policies grow out of the Linderman Act, which was passed in the wake of the explosion.
- Peter absorbs the power of pyrokinesis from Meredith Gordon.
- Mohinder Suresh becomes the President's advisor on issues about evolved humans. He has been trying to discover a way to "cure" evolved humans, without success.
- Ando Masahashi dies in the explosion.
- Micah Sanders dies in the explosion.
- Niki Sanders has entered a relationship with Peter Petrelli. Although she uses the name Jessica, she has not experienced any personality conflicts since the explosion.
- Claire Bennet has been in hiding. By 2011, she is living in Midland, TX, using the first name Sandra, and working at the Burnt Toast Diner.
- Matt Parkman has become estranged from his wife, Janice Parkman. They have a son named Matthew who is a "person of interest" to Homeland Security. Matt is the Director of Homeland Security.
- The Haitian is a high-level agent for Homeland Security.
- Mr. Bennet and Hana Gitelman operate a hiding operation from the old Primatech Paper Co. building in Odessa, TX. This operation helps low-threat evolved humans hide from the authorities, with the complicity of Matt Parkman.
- Hiro Nakamura becomes a terrorist who fights the government's campaign against evolved humans.
- Hiro and Peter raid the prison in an attempt to free it's inmates.
- During the raid, Peter meets the tightly imprisoned Niki Sanders.
- Soon after, they are confronted by three evolved humans who are Homeland Security agents.
Immediately following the prison break, a showdown occurs: the agents versus Hiro, Peter, and Niki.
- Peter exhibits his pyrokinesis.
- He absorbs at least two other powers, enhanced speed and electric manipulation.
- Niki finishes off the three agents with a pole-dancing kick.
- Hiro informs the two that he will bring the evolved humans to a special facility in Odessa.
- Peter offers to help Niki find her family, to which she replies that she has none.
In Kirby Plaza, Peter faces off with Sylar, but loses control of Ted's power in the process, causing him to start to explode. After Hiro stabs Sylar, Peter tries to get him and later Claire to kill him to prevent the explosion and this future. In the end, Nathan flies Peter high into the air where he harmlessly explodes, altering the future.
Nathan has a nightmare, created by Maury Parkman. He watches a destroyed New York from the roof of the Deveaux Building. He hears Peter's voice coming from a body on the ground, the body looks up and it his hideously disfigured alter-ego. The two then have a vicious fight but this is then interrupted by Matt inserting a thought into Nathan's head and stopping the hallucination. This future appears to be in the moments just after the explosion as there is ash falling all around and the entire city is in flames.
"Is everything okay?"
"No. Let's go fix it."
This alternate future was referred to several times in Saving Charlie.
- For the possible future Peter and Caitlin visit in The Line, see the outbreak.
- For the possible future where the formula is released, see the exposed future.
- For articles related to the explosion future, see Related Articles:Explosion Future
- For alternate future timelines, see Timeline:Possible Futures.
Please refer to Theory:Explosion future for fan-created theories and other speculation.