Graphic Novel:Root and Branch, Part 3
From Heroes Wiki
| Root and Branch, Part 3|
|Issue #: ||90 ||Released: ||June 16, 2008 |
|Story by:||Zach Craley & Oliver Grigsby|
|Art and colors by:||Jason Badower|
|Produced by:||Aspen MLT Inc.|
|Easter Egg:||Scene from Company Man of Claude Rains and Mr. Bennet on the Texas bridge|
|Previous:||Root and Branch, Part 2|
|Next:||Berlin, Part 1|
|A year ago, Company agent Sabine Hazel began a relationship with her partner Julien Dumont. Too bad Julien's special ability was to clone himself. Believing the man she loves to have been replaced by a clone, Sabine murders her alleged partner. With help from Evs Dropper, Sabine finds the original Julien Dumont hidden in a Company cell, where his clones are being forcibly harvested. Things just got a whole lot more complicated...|
Outside Noah Bennet's cell in a Primatech Research facility, Sabine Hazel asks Noah to tell her about the Dumont System, so she can help the root Julien escape from his cell, where he is being held and forced to create clones of himself. Noah reveals that Julien was knocked out several years ago and that the Company "split him over and over without him knowing it", which meant that some of his clones "developed some very unique personalities", some of which the Company found hard to control.
Sabine frees the root Julien, and other clones of Julien being held experience intense pain. Several Company agents chase after them, including Donna and Thompson, Jr., as Evsdropr sends Sabine text messages helping her with the escape. They reach the parking garage, and Sabine asks Julien to clone himself, which he does, creating a decoy. Sabine and Julien then get away in an SUV, just as Donna and Thompson, Jr. see them, prompting them to give chase by car. Donna uses her ability to shoot a tire of the SUV, sending it flying off the edge of a bridge that crosses the Bronx River.
The SUV lands upside down on solid ground, and an injured Sabine crawls out in time to spot a mysterious man dragging the now unconscious root Julien to another SUV. Sabine pleads with him to take her as well and he does. Once inside, Sabine spots that someone else is riding with them in the passenger seat. She asks if he is Evsdropr, to which he turns around and replies "not exactly", revealing his identity as another Julien clone.
- For images from Root and Branch, Part 3, see images from Root and Branch, Part 3.
- For Jason Badower's original art from Root and Branch, Part 3 and notes about his work, see here.
- For an interview with Oliver Grigsby, Zach Craley, and Jason Badower about the Root and Branch series, see Interview:Root and Branch.
- Artist Jason Badower added at least two shout-outs to fans in this novel. Namely, the copy of A Tale of Two Cities read by Noah is published by "Sheindie Classics", and the SUV driven by Sabine is branded as a "Willow". The shout-outs are to Sarmy member Sheindie and freelance writer/graphic artist Willow Polson.
- Graphic novels page on NBC.com
- Interactive comic on NBC.com — Note: Requires Flash Player 8 or above to view
- Downloadable PDF comic on NBC.com — Note: Requires Adobe Acrobat or compatible reader to view
- Animated video