Linderman revives a dying flower.
|Held by:||Daniel Linderman (deceased), |
Ishi Nakamura (deceased),
Taylor's father (deceased)
|Ability to:||Heal the injuries of any living thing|
|Examples of healing|
Healing is the ability to cause other individuals to heal injuries at an increased rate, resulting in complete recovery in a matter of seconds.
- Daniel Linderman is the first character to demonstrate this ability. (.07%)
- Ishi Nakamura also demonstrated this ability. (Our Father)
- Taylor's father also demonstrated this ability. (Company Woman)
Linderman has demonstrated the ability to completely heal serious injuries including a bullet wound that went all the way through a man's abdomen, a broken jaw, and a spinal injury that had left Heidi Petrelli's legs paralyzed for six months. He was also able to heal the damage caused by his mother's liver cancer, but it is unclear whether he fully "cured" the disease.
It is not currently known if Linderman could have healed Dallas's injury if the bullet was still in the wound. It is also not known if he can heal his own injuries.
During the Vietnam War, Linderman seemed to need to be in physical contact with the sick or injured person--touching the wound, if possible--for at least several seconds to cause healing. By 2006, he appears to be able to initiate healing with brief contact and then continue merely by holding his hand close to the subject. When healing Heidi's spinal injury, he only touched her hand, but he did hold it for several seconds.
By his own admission, Linderman cannot "bring back the dead". This apparently means that he cannot heal someone who is clinically dead, even if they have only been dead a short time. Specifically, although none of them had been dead for more than a few minutes, he could not revive members of his special operations unit who were killed in an ambush, nor could he revive Au Co. He also seems unable to cure illnesses caused by viruses and/or bacteria, otherwise he would have been able to cure Molly Walker without the assistance of Mohinder Suresh.
Linderman can heal the brain damage caused by telepathic attacks that alter a person's behavior or memory, effectively restoring the person's original memories and personality. (Villains)
Linderman's healing abilities are not restricted to human beings or even animals; he seems to be able to repair damage to any living thing.
Ishi Nakamura was apparently unable to use her ability to heal whatever condition was killing her. It is unclear if this means that healers cannot heal their own injuries or if Ishi's condition was beyond all healing. An alternative possibility is that her disease was caused by a pathogen, in which case the limitations on Linderman's ability mentioned above (he was unable to cure Shanti virus) could apply here.
Ishi's apparent preferred gesture was that of a kiss, due to her affection for her son and for her dove, but she presumably has the same physical contact requirements as Linderman.
Ishi heals Hiro's mind.
- Linderman's healing is similar to Claire Bennet's regeneration power because they both have regenerative properties. However, they differ in that Claire has demonstrated her ability to come back from the dead, whereas Linderman specifically states that he cannot bring back the dead. Linderman is also able to heal others, whereas Claire is unable to heal anyone other than herself without the person being injected with her blood.
- Yamagato Fellowship has files on heroes of the past. One hero is Gawain, whose knowledge of herbs made him a great healer.
- At a young age, Peter had a meeting with Linderman, but Peter had not displayed his ability of healing.
- In a Behind the Eclipse questions and answers session, the writers implied that Linderman couldn't use his ability to help the dying Ishi Nakamura.
- This ability is not to be confused with Jeremy Greer's ability. When he was bagged and tagged by the Company, where his ability was studied, his power appeared identical to this one because he was released before they realized he could drain the life force from his victims.
- When Hiro coded in a head surgery, he experienced a near-death experience in the form of a trial, to determine if he had abused his ability. After fighting Adam Monroe, Ishi appeared and told Hiro that is wasn't his destiny to die then, and healed him. Hiro's heartbeat was restored. It is unknown if this was meant to be a metaphorical way to say Hiro fought for his life or if he was really healed by his mother.
- For other uses of healing, see healing (disambig).
- For the similar ability to heal living things as well as kill them, see healing touch.
- For the similar ability to detect and heal physical, mental, and emotional damage, see health optimizing.
- For the ability to rapidly heal one's injuries, see rapid cell regeneration.