From Heroes Wiki
|Also known as||Mark Scott Spatny|
|Title||Visual effects producer|
Mark Spatny is a visual effects producer for Heroes.
Mark Spatny got his start as a production and lighting designer for the stage, then moving into 3D modeling and computer game design (for Disney Interactive and other PC game producers). Soon thereafter, Mark went to work as a producer and digital effects supervisor for Modern Videofilm, where he worked on films such as I, Robot, The Last Samurai, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as well as television shows like Everwood, Gilmore Girls, Birds of Prey, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. He then went to work for POP Film, where he was the production manager for What Dreams May Come (which won an Oscar for its effects), Armageddon, Star Trek: Insurrection, and Doctor Dolittle. Some of Mark's other credits include The Lost Room, Ruffian, Ugly Betty, Battlestar Galactica, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Wanda at Large, and Baby Bob.
Following Heroes, Mark did visual effects for Tim Kring's Touch.
- In 2007, Mark Spatny was nominated for an "Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series" Emmy for his work on Five Years Gone. In the same year, he was also nominated for an Emmy for Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King.
- In 2008, Mark Spatny was nominated for an "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Series" award from VES for his work on The Second Coming. In 2009, he was nominated for the same award for his work on The Second Coming.
- Mark produced most of the 1,100 effects seen in Season One of Heroes.
- Typically, Mark finds out, from the producers, which locales will be featured in Heroes over the course of a season. He then sends crews to those cities to shoot footage (live-action and still) during both evening and daylight hours so they can build up a library of still and live-action plates.
- Mark Spatney, Mohinder's neighbor, was named after Mark Spatny.
- Mark helped create the Visual Effects Society Awards, which he currently helps manage as he serves as the organization's co-chair. Mark is also a member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
- In 2007, Mark received the VES Award for "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Miniseries, Movie or Special" for his work on Battleground (Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King), and was nominated for a second Visual Effects Society Award in the supporting effects category for Commander-in-Chief.
- Mark regularly volunteers for the American Red Cross as a Disaster Action Team member.
Bill Aldridge • Jay Bartus • Kim Boyle • Michael Cook • Gary D'Amico • Marie Victoria Denoga • Michael Enriquez • Meliza Fermin • Darren Frankel • Diego Galtieri • Eric Grenaudier • John H. Han • Ragui Hanna • Jeremy Hays • Sid Jayakar • Mark Kolpack • Daniel Kumiega • Frank Lawas • Doug Ludwig • Christopher D. Martin • Josh Miyaji • Tim Nassauer • Jeremy Nelson • Anthony Ocampo • Jon Rosenthal • Ken Rudell • Mark Spatny • Jason Sperling • Susan Stewart • Patrick Thompson • Cedric Tomacruz • Ryan Wieber
See Also: Art Department • Assistants • Assistant Directors • Camera Operators • Directors • Editors • Hair and Makeup • Locations Department • Photographers • Producers • Sound and Music • Stand-Ins • Stunt Department • Writers • Other Crew Members • Graphic Novel Crew • Webisodes Crew • Evolutions Crew • Countdown Crew • Cast