Eden McCain uses her power of persuasion to force Matt Parkman to leave her alone.
|Held by:||Eden McCain (deceased), |
|Ability to:||Compel others with vocal persuasion|
Persuasion is the ability to force others to obey one's spoken imperatives.
- Eden McCain naturally possessed this ability. (Seven Minutes to Midnight)
- Kelly possesses this ability. (The Civilian)
Eden's power of persuasion requires speech (so, it would not work if she were gagged), and presumably requires the affected individual to understand the spoken commands and be able to act on them.
Eden's suggestions do not compel instant obedience. She sometimes has to repeat commands before her victims obey (Six Months Ago), and the exact wording of the command may affect its success (Sylar appeared to resist Eden's rather complex set of commands at the end of Fallout). However, when strongly focused, the true limits of the power may extend to outright killing of the victim through pure power of persuasion (Life Before Eden).
This power appears to require active concentration: not every suggestion Eden makes has an unnaturally persuasive effect; she has to intentionally use the power.
Eden's first command was an angry but innocent outburst, that kills her step-mother.
...and eat some donuts. (Six Months Ago)
- In an interview, Aron Coleite and Joe Pokaski explain that, although unusual vocal effects were used for both Sylar (Distractions) and Peter Petrelli (Unexpected), both were for "coolness factor", and were not an indication that either was using persuasion. They later reiterated the point in reference to Sylar's voice in .07%.
- It is unclear whether or not Peter Petrelli will use this ability at a later time since he met Eden in Mohinder's apartment in Collision. Since the loss of his powers to his father that is now unlikely. However, Arthur may have possession of this power, though he would not have much use for it since he can achieve the same effect with another ability that he has more control and experience.
- This power is also known as "suggestion".
- Persuasion appears to be an aspect of telepathy. While Eden can compel others with verbal commands, Matt Parkman has shown that he has the ability to coerce others by implanting thoughts. Telepaths are also able to accomplish this verbally.
- For the ability that includes persuading others by sending thoughts into their heads, see telepathy.
- For the similar ability to induce beliefs in people, see belief induction.