Arthur steals Peter's abilities.
|Held by:||Arthur Petrelli (deceased)|
|Ability to:||Steal other abilities through physical contact|
With this ability, Arthur can remove the ability of another evolved human by touching them. Arthur seems to gain immediate use of the stolen ability such as when he stole Adam's regeneration power and regenerated the damage to his nervous system and the hole in his throat from the tube placed there. Arthur can take multiple abilities at once from someone who has acquired multiple abilities. (Dying of the Light)
Firm physical contact seems to be necessary for this ability to work. Arthur hugged Peter to steal his abilities, and Knox forced Adam to place his hand in Arthur's grasp. However, skin-to-skin contact is apparently not required, as he absorbed Maya's ability through her hospital gown and Hiro's ability through his shirt.
When Arthur stole Adam's ability, Adam rapidly died and decomposed due to the loss of the aging-suppression aspect of his ability--his 400 years of age caught up with him in seconds. Peter suffered no obvious ill effects upon losing his abilities, although the process appeared to cause intense pain.
Arthur's use of this ability requires active concentration. He can choose to not steal abilities from an evolved human. Knox's hand brushed against Arthur's, yet no abilities were lost or gained. (Dying of the Light)
According to Arthur, the removal of abilities from a targeted evolved human is permanent (Eris Quod Sum), but they can, in fact, be at least partially restored. Matt Parkman, Jr. partially restored Hiro's ability, allowing him to stop time but not teleport (Cold Snap), and Peter Petrelli restored part of his ability with the formula. Hiro's powers all eventually returned, but due to a brain tumor Hiro developed, he didn't have full control until his tumor was removed, showing that powers stolen can be fully returned.
All of the abilities Arthur stole made him so powerful that even the Haitian was only able to block him for a few minutes before he began to manifest his abilities again. Despite all of the abilities he has at his disposal, however, Arthur's stolen abilities otherwise still have their normal limitations. For example, a bullet through the back of his brain was able to kill him like it would anyone with regeneration.
...and drains his ability, causing him to rapidly age...
...until he finally decays and is nothing more than a pile of dust.
(Dying of the Light)
Arthur can now breathe without the aid of a machine.
(Dying of the Light)
Arthur hugs his son, stealing his abilities...
"Ah, it feels good to breathe again."
"You don't have your powers anymore, Peter... Because I have them now."
"I take it all, and leave nothing behind."
"You took my abilities."
"You gave me no choice, son."
"Are they gone forever?"
- In special feature "The Writers Forum" found on the Season 3 DVD, writers Tim Kring, Adam Armus, and Aron Eli Coleite reveal that Arthur's ability is a more developed form of Peter's empathic mimicry and they are actually different versions of the same ability.
- It is possible that Peter absorbed this ability when he came into contact with his father (Dying of the Light). However, since he never used the ability, and since there have been other abilities that he was near and never absorbed, there is no conclusive evidence that Peter actually absorbed this ability.
- For the way in which Sylar steals abilities from others, see ability theft.
- For Peter's ability to absorb powers from others, see empathic mimicry or ability replication.
- For Linda Tavara's ability to use the abilities of others after killing them, see aura absorption.
Please refer to Theory:Ability absorption for fan-created theories and other speculation.