Meredith produces a small fire in her hand.
|Originally held by:||Meredith Gordon (deceased), |
Flint Gordon, Jr. (deceased),
|Absorbed by:||Peter Petrelli (lost), |
Peter Petrelli (explosion future)
|Ability to:||Create and manipulate fire|
|Examples of pyrokinesis|
Pyrokinesis is the ability to create and manipulate fire with one's mind.
- Meredith Gordon was the first character to demonstrate this ability. (The Fix)
- Maarten, an agent of the Company, also has this ability. (Team Building Exercise)
- Flint Gordon, Jr., Meredith's brother and one of the Level 5 escapees, also demonstrated this ability. (The Second Coming)
- Peter has mimicked this ability from Flint (I Am Become Death), but lost it when his father stole it from him (Dying of the Light).
- Iris also has this ability. (Destiny, Part 4)
- In a possible future, Peter Petrelli has absorbed this ability from Meredith Gordon. (Five Years Gone)
Meredith normally demonstrates her ability by creating a small fire from her fingertips or in the palm of her hand, however she can also create fireballs and directed streams of flame. Heat from her hand can quickly spread along the walls of a shipping container, making them hot enough to burn Claire. Meredith is not hurt by the fire she creates, and she seems to be resistant to other consequences of its use; her flames generated enough heat and consumed enough oxygen from a shipping container to nearly suffocate Claire, but Meredith seemed completely unaffected, not even breaking a sweat (One of Us, One of Them). It is not yet clear whether she would be resistant to flames or heat that she did not create herself.
Claude claimed that Meredith "exploded" when he and Mr. Bennet tried to "bag and tag" her for the Company (Hell's Angel), indicating that she can produce large amounts of flame from all over her body. The maximum amount of heat and/or flame she can produce is not yet known.
After capturing Meredith, Thompson was able to prevent her from attacking him by making her wear flame retardant gloves, suggesting Meredith is dependent of her hands to use her ability. Thompson also threatened to place her in an asbestos-lined cell. (Villains)
When Sylar injected her with adrenaline, Meredith's power became increasingly difficult to control; she involuntarily released bursts of flame with increasing frequency, and eventually "exploded" in a fireball that set fire to the Primatech Research building. (Dual)
A Future Peter is able to recall bright red flames at will, using them against Sylar and his icy ability (Five Years Gone). Peter is shown to be able to generate significant amount of fire as his fight with Sylar starts to break down the locked door that two soldiers and Matt Parkman are trying to break down.
Maarten shows advanced control over his ability, as he is able to conjure large flames and launch them in precise streams over long distances or unleash and manipulate the flames from all across his body. Even though he was momentarily stunned by the liquid man's explosion of water, he was able to quickly recover and resume conjuring flames. (Team Building Exercise)
Flint demonstrates advanced control over his ability of pyrokinesis, and will often keep the fires he creates burning just for amusement. Flames that he creates are always blue to blue-ish white, indicating that they are burning at a high temperature that he describes as "extra hot". In the graphic novel Playing with Fire, Flint tells Meredith that he manipulates his fire so that it is hotter than hers.
Flint was subdued by Thompson with the use of flame retardant foam. Flint couldn't use his ability, suggesting he's dependent on his hands to use his ability, much like his sister. Flint is also seen producing jets of flame and throwing fireballs like his sister as well, but Flint is much more reckless with his ability, often creating far bigger flames than his sister does. (Villains).
Flint claims that he can't be burned (Dual), suggesting either that he has some control over flame that he doesn't create himself or that his ability provides him with immunity to high levels of heat and flame from any source.
Peter was able to create flames that are blue, similar to Flint. He was able to create the flames engulfing his hand, but never further demonstrated this ability.
Iris has only demonstrated her ability by creating a small fire in the palm of her hand.
Flint mercilessly attacks civilians.
(The Butterfly Effect)
Meredith heats up the container, burning the oxygen.
(One of Us, One of Them)
- In a question and answer session, writers Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite said that Future Peter absolutely absorbed Meredith Gordon's ability, but this event was never seen.
- Writers Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite explained the "rule of Ted" in a question and answer session: "The oven can't be hurt by the heat. So Meredith is relatively immune to all effects of fire."
- Assuming the color of the flame is based on temperature, Flint's flames burn at approximately 1670 K (1400 °C) and Meredith's burn at approximately 1070 K (800 °C).
- Arthur Petrelli stole his son Peter's abilities, saying, "I have [your powers] now." It is presumed that Arthur stole all of Peter's abilities, including pyrokinesis. However, it is possible that Arthur did not steal all of Peter's abilities. Since Arthur never used this ability, there is no conclusive evidence that he actually stole this ability.
- For the similar ability to breath fire, see fire breathing.
- For the similar ability to make things catch fire, see spontaneous combustion.
- For the similar ability to heat up objects, see heat generation.
- For the similar ability to create heat via microwaves, see microwave emission.
Please refer to Theory:Pyrokinesis for fan-created theories and other speculation.