Daphne runs fast, very fast!
|Originally held by:||Daphne Millbrook (deceased), |
Agent (explosion future),
"Angry Old Man" (deceased),
Alexander French (deceased),
|Absorbed by:||Peter Petrelli (lost), |
Peter Petrelli (explosion future)
|Ability to:||Move faster than is possible for a normal human|
|Examples of super speed|
Super speed is the ability to move faster than would normally be possible for a human being. Users of this ability can think, move, and react at superhuman speeds. They can easily dodge multiple bullets shot at point blank range and move far in excess of supersonic speeds; their stamina is also greatly increased.
- Daphne Millbrook had this ability. (Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Part 1)
- Edgar also has this ability. (Orientation)
- Peter Petrelli absorbed this ability, but lost it when his father stole it from him (Dying of the Light). He later replicated it from Edgar (Jump, Push, Fall), but discarded it by accident for enhanced synesthesia (Hysterical Blindness).
- A trainee at the specials training facility has demonstrated this ability. (Reaching Out, Part 1)
- An "Angry Old Man" had this ability. (Brave New World)
- According to a list of evos that Joanne stole, Alexander French had this ability. (The Needs of the Many)
- Lauren Gilmore mentions a speedster named "Carlos" who lived in Miami. (Let It Bleed)
- "Super speed" is mentioned in the title of Oluwole Adeyemi's "attempt video". (The Odessa Report)
- An agent in a possible future has this ability. (Walls, Part 1)
- Future Peter has absorbed this ability from the agent. (Walls, Part 2)
- In another possible future where abilities can be induced, several people demonstrated this ability. (I Am Become Death)
The female team member from the future can move at superhuman speed, but just how much faster she can move than a normal person is not known. When running at high speed, she can use her momentum to run on a wall several feet from the ground. With the help of another agent, her high-speed attacks kept Future Peter too stunned to fight back. It is unknown whether or not the agent, like Daphne, can bypass the effects of time-stopping.
Peter from the future where New York exploded absorbed this ability from an agent, allowing him to match her speed (Walls, Part 2). Peter was already immune to the effects of time-stopping before mimicking her ability.
Daphne has the ability to run at superhuman speeds. She can zip around the world in very little time; She has visited Tokyo, Paris, and New York City faster than is humanly possible. Daphne's speed does not only manifest itself in her feet, but also in her hands. Indeed, she often uses her speed to steal objects of great worth, and has found that her swiftness makes her a formidable fighter, despite her lack of natural talent in defeating others. Daphne can run so fast that she is even able to leap between buildings. Daphne is apparently immune to potentially harmful side-effects of moving at super speed, such as damage from air friction. She suffers no joint or muscle damage from her high-speed movements, and she apparently feels little or no fatigue even after running intercontinental distances at superhuman speed.
Daphne's ability also allows her to move at normal speed when time is drastically slowed, as was demonstrated in her first encounter with Hiro Nakamura. Though she was initially frozen in time when exposed to his ability while running, she was able to "catch up" to it and move normally, even while everyone else was frozen (The Second Coming). However, when not moving at superhuman speed, she isn't immune to time-stopping effects (Dying of the Light).
Daphne also stated that she can run on anything but air and in space (Cold Snap).
Peter has absorbed this ability and was able to use a quick burst of speed to knock Future Claire out before she could react. He was also able to block Future Daphne from attacking him, causing them to crash through a door, but was not adept enough to defend against her repeated high-speed attacks. (I Am Become Death)
After acquiring this ability from Edgar, Peter saw him moving in slow motion and was able to move fast enough to best Edgar in combat, and later travel across New York almost instantly. He showed considerably more control over it than when he got it from Future Daphne as he was unable to best her in a super speed battle (Jump, Push, Fall). Peter began using it to save people's lives in his job and was able to save a bunch of people from a bus crash (Ink). He was also able to use it to visit Noah Bennet in Washington, DC, and be back in time for work ten minutes later (Acceptance). He later accidentally discards it in favor of enhanced synesthesia after saving Emma Coolidge from an oncoming bus. (Hysterical Blindness)
Edgar's ability is not limited to locomotive speed. He was able to move his arms fast enough to repeatedly slash and kill Danko before Danko could move to defend himself (Orientation). In a fight with Peter, he was able to move all parts of his body super fast. (Jump, Push, Fall). When Hiro froze time together with Edgar, he was able to run extremely fast even while time was stopped (Thanksgiving). It is unknown if he would be able to do the same had Hiro not extended his ability to include him, as Daphne did. Noah notes that Edgar must run at 600 or 700 miles per hour (Let It Bleed).
The old man only demonstrated his ability once, when he sped around a room to dodge Joanne's bullets. Unfortunately, by predicting his movements, Joanne was able to shoot him in the side, causing him to crash into a door and die.
Daphne's speed does not apply just to locomotive speed.
(Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Part 2)
Daphne arrives at Pinehearst.
(Angels and Monsters)
- In a question and answer session, writer Chris Zatta theorized that Daphne is able to travel to Europe (Sum Quod Sum, Part 1) by running quickly over the surface tension of the water.
- Santiago has demonstrated that he is capable of running at very high speeds as a byproduct of his ability to see various possibilities. He first uses his speed to avoid being hit by a bus, and later to run quickly through a park in Lima, Peru to catch up to Elisa.
- Noah mentions that cold temperatures can temporarily stop a speedster from accessing their ability due to the chilling effects on their muscles and heart rate (Let It Bleed). He also mentioned that they "don't like Quaaludes", but didn't elaborate.
- Arthur Petrelli stole his son Peter's abilities, saying, "I have [your powers] now." (Dying of the Light). It is presumed that Arthur stole all of Peter's abilities, including super speed. However, it is possible that Arthur did not steal all of Peter's abilities. Since Arthur never used this ability, there is no conclusive evidence that he actually stole this ability.
- For the ability to rapidly detect all possible courses of action and perform them at superhuman speed, see accelerated probability.