From Heroes Wiki
The following fan theories are about Peter Petrelli.
For help on adding theories, see the help section.
|Peter will gain his scar and then reacquire regeneration, but the scar will not go away.||None|| + It seems Peter cannot scar when he has Claire's ability, but Peter no longer has that ability.|
+ Both versions of future Peter had a scar.
• It is possible that exposed future Peter lost his powers to his father and somehow regained them. He knows the only way to stop Arthur, and the Earth from exploding, is to give him access to Sylar's power.
+ Peter's ability only allows him to hold one power at a time now, so he may be scarred when not holding Claire's ability.
|Peter will always "aid" or inconsequentially be the villain.||"The only future I've ever seen is the one caused by you." - Angela to Future Peter in The Second Coming|| + Peter was the bomb in Season One.|
+ Peter almost released the virus in Season Two.
|In the original timeline (Nov 8, 2007), Peter Petrelli mimicked density manipulation from one of the Moab prison ambush agents.|| Graphic Novel snapshot:|| + In Walls, Part 2, everyone is accounted for except for Peter and the agent with enhanced speed.|
+ The agent looks to be stepping backwards (not running), and the silhouette for Peter resembles the image of the larger ambush agent.
|Peter Petrelli's name is a reference to the many Marvel characters having first and last names that begin with the same letter.||None|| + Many of the Marvel comics characters have names beginning with the same letter (e.g. Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Matt Murdock, Scott Summers, Warren Worthington, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange).|
+ The show's writers have referenced popular culture with other character names: Claude Rains is a reference to the original actor to play a character who was invisible.
|Someone wanted Peter to come into contact with Ricky's gang.||Ricky commented on the unlikeliness of Peter showing up in the one container that they were set to rob. (Lizards)|| + Ricky and his gang specifically planned to break into one container out of the hundreds in the storage lot. It would be a ridiculous coincidence if Peter just happened to be in that container.|
+ Peter's container was empty, but, according to Ricky, it was supposed to be filled with iPods.
- Elle wouldn't have killed Ricky if they were on the same side.
- The Haitian trapped Peter in a random container, it was just pure luck.
- Elle was looking for containers at the dock first. If she knew Ricky and his gang had him, she would have gone there first.
|Peter exhibited a new use of his dream power by bringing back the evacuation notice in Truth and Consequences.||None|| + Peter has used this dream power before in connection with Charles Deveaux, however this time he brought back a physical object from that place/time. Thus, he is not just a astral projection, but can physically interact with that location.|
- This could be space-time manipulation.
+ Although Adam heard Peter, but neither Caitlin nor the version of Peter with her seemed to hear Peter, which may indicate some sort of transcendent or dream-like state because he was apparently audible and physically present for Adam, but he obtained a flier from the future and brought it back to the past with him.
|Peter will go insane.||None|| + It has been suggested that the numerous alterations to Sylar's DNA has unbalanced his mind. The same might happen to Peter.|
+ He's already started to feel the "hunger" that comes with Sylar's power, even killing Nathan in a potential future.
|Peter and Nathan Petrelli are brothers with Hiro Nakamura.||Hiro's biological mother may actually be Angela Petrelli, since we know she slept with Kaito Nakamura. (Lizards)|| + That could work seeing as Hiro was about ten or eleven when his mom died, so perhaps Angela had Hiro, then broke up with Kaito and got together with Arthur, while Kaito fell in love and got married to his wife, who adopted Hiro as her own.|
- Nathan recalled his father didn't like Kaito. The last time Nathan saw him, Kaito shared a long hug with Angela, something which angered Arthur.
|The ability Future Peter used to transform is illusion from Candice Wilmer.||None|| + The effects used are exactly the same.|
- Future Peter may have acquired the power from another person.
|Peter is able to use Sylar's telekinesis and intuitive aptitude because he sees Sylar and Gabriel Gray as two separate persons.||Peter did not know of or use intuitive aptitude until he met Sylar in the exposed future.|| + The first (and only) power Peter mimicked from Sylar had been telekinesis (Unexpected), until Gabriel Gray taught him how to use intuitive aptitude. He may forever associate telekinesis with Sylar and intuitive aptitude with Gabriel Gray.|
|When Future Peter brought his present self to 2011, he lost his powers at once.||None|| + By bringing his present self along, Future Peter forced him to acquire intuitive aptitude. Thus present-day Peter became aggressive and impatient, he went to Pinehearst and lost his powers. This could have affected Future Peter as well, so when they time traveled to 2011, he rendered himself powerless.|
+ Future Peter did not heal from the bullet to his chest.
|Peter's empathic mimicry is still the same, it appears to work differently because he no longer connects to people like he used to.||He didn't want to get involved when Claire was on the phone and now he can only mimic an ability through touch.|| + Being betrayed by your brother after having to kill the father who is a manipulative villain could very well make Peter less willing to connect with people.|
+ Arthur said that he would regain his abilities.
- If Peter's DNA changes like Sylar's when he gains a new ability, then the changes in Peter's DNA could have affected his original ability.
+ Peter mentions in the first episode of Volume 4 that he isn't strong enough, which indicates that if he were stronger he could have kept all of his powers at one time, and saved that person.
|Peter has consciously or subconsciously limited the scope of his ability to prevent himself from acquiring new abilities, ensuring he has a better control over the abilities he chooses to acquire.||Peter made a choice to get Mohinder's ability.|| + The events on the airplane can lead to this theory.|
- Peter told Tracy about the limitation of his new ability (one power for another).
+ Hiro's ability was similarly affected when he lost his confidence when he could not save Charlie from Sylar. With his trust broken by Nathan, Peter would not be able to hold more than one ability until he regains his confidence and makes amends with his brother.
|Aside from the fact Peter has to touch a person to get their powers, Peter's new power works the same as his original power.||None|| + He could only use one power at a time until Claude taught him how to access multiple powers at the same time, and out of the absorbee presence.|
|If Peter travels back in time and uses his current ability on his past self he can gain back his empathic mimicry.||None|| • Time travel is currently impossible.|
|If Peter has Ando supercharge his ability, he will be able to retain multiple abilities at once.||None|| + Supercharging enhances abilities, so it only makes sense that if you supercharge ability replication, you would end up with at least the ability to hold multiple powers at once.|
|When Arthur stole Peter's ability he removed the ability genes from his DNA. And when he used the formula, it gave him new ability genes which gave him his current ability.||None|| - Alternatively, he could have turned the DNA responsible for Peter's ability in non-coding DNA, a.k.a. junk DNA.|
- The formula might not "give" genes, but unlock those which are inactive in DNA of every non-powered human.
- Mohinder said that a synthetic ability depends upon an individual's unique DNA chemistry. Peter shouldn't have acquired an ability different from the old one.
- Nonsense. Hiro had his powers stolen the same way Peter did. Once baby Parkman touched him, his powers were activated. At first he was only able to stop time, but before too long he was time traveling and teleporting. As of now, the only thing that seems to be slowing Hiro's powers down is the tumor he has. If his DNA, or genes, had been altered or even taken away his powers could not have been restored.
|Peter's weakened ability represents his disgust towards himself for acquiring it, as well as his brother's betrayal.||None|| + Peter has a very fragile psyche, and it tends to manifest itself in his powers. He wanted to become a hero without them, yet still had to inject himself with a serum he was trying to destroy to save a brother who only rejected him. This could cause him to lose his empathy, hence the necessity of contact for his new ability to work, as well as make him lose confidence in himself, explaining why it's been weakened. As the writers have said before, it's more about what's in his heart.|
|Peter will replicate all of Sylar's abilities one by one, at some point gaining Sylar's intuitive aptitude, then use it to empathically gain other evolved humans' powers the same way Sylar does.||None|| - Remembering the experience of absorbing intuitive aptitude, Peter might never attempt to acquire it again.|
|Peter's ability is simply in it's early stages, similar to how Peter had to learn to use empathic mimicry.||None|| + Peter had to learn how to recall abilities, this took a great deal of time.|
+ Peter's ability is still the copying of others, assuming his "blood chemistry" hasn't changed his ability should have similar traits to his original.
+ As stated earlier, Peter's psyche is somewhat scarred from his brother's betrayal of the evolved humans, and, as such, he may have empathic mimicry but may not be able to totally access it because of this mental strife. Hiro went through a similar weakening of his powers in season one, but recovered them after dealing with his inner turmoil by receiving his father's blessing.
|The Future Peter from the exposed future had ability replication, not empathic mimicry.||Future Peter did not regenerate, while the Haitian did not stop present-day Peter from killing Nathan. (I Am Become Death)|| - The future Peter has displayed more than one ability at a time on numerous occasions.|
- The future had not been changed yet, so that Peter probably never lost his ability, or injected himself with the formula, getting a new ability.
|Peter would regain his original ability if he came in contact with Matt Parkman, Jr..||Matt Jr.'s power was able to jumpstart Hiro's ability, even after it was stolen by Arthur. (Cold Snap)|| - Peter has already gained a different ability.|
• Matt Jr. would need to be happy.
|If Peter engaged in a group hug with other evolved humans, he could retain multiple powers at once.||None|| + He has demonstrated the ability to hold a power upon physical contact.|
- Peter loses his retained ability when he replicates a new one.
• What we know for sure is that Peter can only gain powers through direct contact, and that he loses that power if he gains another. It could be argued that two powers gained at the same time would both function, but they could just as easily negate each other.
|Peter did not replicate all of Sylar's abilities because it takes longer to replicate multiple abilities, and Peter could not maintain contact with Sylar long enough to grab them all.||None|| + It is shown throughout the season that it does take him approximately two to three seconds to replicate an ability. It is possible that, when faced with multiple abilities, it takes him two to three seconds per ability to absorb them all. This would explain why he only seemed to absorb shape shifting: he only managed to remain in contact with Sylar long enough to absorb one ability.|
- Peter can only hold abilities from one "ability grab" at a time. If he took, for example, shape shifting, and then telekenisis, he would only have the latter of the two. Otherwise, in order for Peter to gain more than one ability, he would need to acquire them simultaneously.
|Peter will be able to use the abilities of evolved humans that he shape shifts into.||Sylar mentioned his DNA reverting.|| + If this ability allows someone to shift their genes then it's plausible that they may shift their genes to mimic those of another evolved human, granting them an identical ability.|
- According to the death of James Martin, his DNA remained his own, and did not change to Sylar's when he shape shifted into his form.
- Peter no longer has shape shifting.
|Peter could not heal people by injecting them with his own blood even though he had Claire's ability.||None|| + Peter absorbed the powers of many other people, altering his DNA. This may make the bodies of other humans reject transfusions of his blood.|
+ Adam Monroe knew of Peter's abilities yet he healed post-explosion Nathan himself instead of telling Peter how to do it.
+ Peter didn't think to heal Nathan with his own blood after he was shot, even though Claire suggested that she herself do it.
- Peter was able to heal himself with Claire's ability, which as far as we know, only works through its possessor's blood.
• Claire's ability most likely relies own the brain, where the information about the ability is stored, which commands the adrenal glands to secrete some sort of healing hormone, which would account for healing others via blood transfusion.
|Peter will gain all of Sylar's abilities through constant physical contact.||None|| + Ability replication copies abilities through physical contact.|
• Constant physical contact?
|Exposed future Peter had shape-shifting instead of illusion.||None|| + Peter's transformations resemble a form of trained shape-shifting.|
• What the ability looked like is subjective, different people will see different abilities.
|We will never know how many of Sylar's abilities Peter has replicated.||None|| + Peter may use his ability on any other evolved human, making Sylar's powers vanish.|
|A little more time for Peter to regain his empathy, and he will be able to cope with intuitive aptitude if he happens to absorb it again.||None|| + When Peter attacked Future Nathan, he didn't finish opening his skull, he stopped. And Sylar didn't, he proceeded taking Brian Davis's power.|
|Peter absorbed Edgar's super speed for the second time.||None|| + The innocent bystander in I Am Become Death could have been Edgar.|
|Peter will be able to retain more than one ability at a time, with proper training.||None|| + Claude once said "Your body remembers how (to use the abilities), it's just you who's not letting them out".|
+ If Peter could have Charlie's ability (now she is alive again) he would be able to maximize his capacity to retain abilities. He was probably exposed to that power when he fought Sylar in Homecoming. After that he was progressively able to manager more that one power at the same time.
+ In Nathan's final scene, he says that Peter can do anything.
• Peter could potentially use more than one power by taping samples of multiple evolved humans' DNA to himself. Though he wouldn't be able to use them all at once, it could create a similar effect to what you're looking for.
|Peter will become involved romantically with Emma Coolidge or Caitlin.||Numerous meetings and Peter having seen the beauty of Emma's power with her.|| + The story line between Emma and Peter is a typical fairy-tale love story.|
- Deanne Bray said in an interview Emma won't necessarily have a romance with Peter.
|Peter will travel in time to find his old self and will replicate his old ability, then will travel to his father and ask him to steal ability replication, leaving him with empathic mimicry.||None|| + Peter is obsessed with becoming a better paramedic.|
• It's unknown if Arthur can remove specific abilities rather than taking them all.
|Peter, with the help of Hiro Nakamura will be able to travel to the past together an use Peter's replicated ability of healing touch to save people who have died such as Nathan, Niki, Isaac, etc.||None|| + Hiro seems to be more confident in altering the past than ever before, and Peter has a strong desire to help others.|
- The actors might not be available to shoot these scenes.
- This ability cannot revive dead.
- Peter has discarded healing touch and all on-screen character's possessing the ability are dead.
|Peter will not regain empathic mimicry.||None|| + Peter's original ability is simply too powerful, no powerful character with a single ability will remain significant if they run into Peter, as he will be able to do whatever they can and more. This would force the writer's to intentionally keep him away from certain characters, restricting their freedom.|
+ If Peter had never lost his original ability, he would have (in addition to the abilities he had already obtained) power absorption, impenetrable skin, weather control, terrakinesis, shape shifting, poison emission, etc. He would be essentially unstoppable.
+ Peter's power can evolve into ability mimicry or something similar to power absorption, allowing him to become more powerful without being near invincible like before.
- Sylar still has all of his abilities. If Peter doesn't regain his original ability, then he (as well as every other protagonist on the show) is almost certainly going to be killed.
- The 'new' director of the show says that he plans to return the show to its roots. As part of that process, Danko was killed and Tracy moved 'off-screen'. Having Peter regain his original ability would be a continuation of that process.
|If Peter replicates empathy from Sylar, he'll be able to use ability replication like empathic mimicry.||None|| + It would be a perfect way for Peter to regain empathy.|
|Peter will be sought by Sylar to strip him of his power leading to him getting Arthur and Sylar's powers.||None|| + Sylar's help to Peter can't be just out of gratitude, he wanted to sacrifice his power to get back to normal but Matt double-crossed him, since Peter has Matt powers now and is more reliable he will ask Peter to do what Matt did not, but Peter has no better chance than Matt and he would rather use Hiro's power to copy Arthur's powers and use that to reduce Sylar to powerlessness.|
|Peter has learned how to use more than the last ability replicated.||None|| + When he tackles Samuel in "Brave New World", he flies towards him, using West's ability, even though he had already replicated at least two other abilities since then. Precognitive dreaming from his mother and Telepathy from Matt.|
+ As stated earlier, Peter's psyche is somewhat scarred from his brother's betrayal of the evolved humans, and, as such, he may have empathic mimicry but may not be able to totally access it because of this mental strife. Hiro went through a similar weakening of his powers in season one, but recovered them after dealing with his inner turmoil by receiving his father's blessing. Perhaps now that he has finally forgiven Sylar, he is able to access his empathic mimicry and/or further develop his ability replication.
|If Peter were to copy Eli's ability, each of his clones would be able to copy a different ability therefore giving a similar effect to him having lots of powers.||None|| + This would be a logical effect.|
|Peter could regain his original powers by replicating Sylar's intuitive aptitude and examining Arthur's brain.||None|| + Sylar can copy powers by examining people's brains, so Peter should be able to do the same.|
- Arthur's corpse was most likely buried or cremated by now or was too badly damaged by Sylar, for Peter to study his brain.
|Peter's new power is the same as his father's power, but his desire to help people prevents him from stealing other people's powers.||Both Peter's and Arthur's powers have almost identical functions, taking powers through physical contact.|| + Peter most likely inherited his original powers from Arthur and his personality from Angela, so he was able to copy powers without having to touch people or stealing their powers. After Arthur stole his powers and he used the Genetic Modification Formula to regain his powers, he lost his empathic personality, and he was left with powers that are almost identical to Arthur's.|
+ Peter wanted to help people and Arthur wanted to take out anyone who stood in his way, including Peter. Their personalities most likely influenced their powers. Peter doesn't connect with people like he used to, but he still wants to help people. Because of this, he can't empathically copy powers anymore, but he also doesn't steal people's powers.
|The Genetic Modification Formula didn't give him a new power, it reactivated the genes that gave him his powers.||None|| + Both Peter's new powers and his old powers have the same function, but work different ways. Because a lack of confidence can weaken someone's powers,Peter's recent personality change may have altered his powers.|
- The Formula was designed to give powers to people without powers.
|Peter's new power is a combination of his ability and his father's.||None|| + His father was the last person with ability's that he came in contact with, it's possible that when he injected himself with the serum, his original power uncovered the last power he absorbed.|
- Peter can't take other people's powers.
|Peter still has the powers he copied, but lost his access to them.||None|| + Peter technically only has one power, his other powers were a result of his main power. Without his Empathic Mimicry, he has no way to use his other powers.
- Arthur's exact words were "you don't have your powers Peter, I have them.", which implies that he stole all of his powers.
|See Also: 9 • Red • Time travel • Peter Petrelli|