Fan Creation:Women in Refrigerators
From Heroes Wiki
|Women in Refrigerators|
Charlie Andrews was killed shortly after her introduction to develop Hiro's story.
Women in Refrigerators is the title of a list compiled by American comics author Gail Simone. It details occurrences of the victimization of female characters as a plot device in comics throughout the years.
Taking its name from an infamous event in Green Lantern where the hero returned home to find his girlfriend's dismembered body stuffed in his refrigerator by an adversary, the list originally merely provided a listing of events without much in the way of commentary or analysis, although on its face the list speaks volumes. The authors of the list submitted it to various other comic book creators for comment. Responses ranged from denial to disgust, and explanations offered ranged from poor writing to misogyny to the imbalance of secondary (and thus disposable) female characters compared to secondary male characters.
Heroes Characters in Refrigerators
List of Victimized Female Characters
The following female characters have been subjected to physical, psychological, emotional, or sexual violence.
- Au Co—killed by Dallas
- Elle Bishop—shot in the arm by HRG, talked down to by her father, attacked and later killed by Sylar
- Caitlin—inadvertently taken to the Outbreak future, captured by CDC, left in a future that now won't exist
- Charlie Andrews—blood clot in brain, murdered by Sylar; after being saved by Hiro in an alternate timeline she is subsequently abducted by Samuel
- Bridget Bailey—tricked by Angela, murdered by Sylar
- Claire Bennet—repeatedly injured (both accidentally and intentionally), sexually assaulted, murdered, attacked by Sylar
- Kate Bennet—killed by thief
- Sandra Bennet—repeatedly brainwashed on her husband's orders; beaten by Sylar; developing severe neurological disorder
- Felicia Brooks—killed in an explosion.
- Simone Deveaux—codependent relationship, father dead, accidentally shot and killed by Isaac
- Donna Dunlap—forced into the Company; kidnapped by Connie and tied to explosives with her feet nailed to a board, died in the resultant explosion.
- Gina—squeezed by the Constrictor, inadvertently assaulted by one of Echo's screams
- Hana Gitelman—female relatives killed by Nazis and terrorists; betrayed by AWI to become a vigilante, killed by satellite "virus" and re-entry
- Meredith Gordon—put under the control of Eric Doyle (possibly in the past as well as in Angels and Monsters), murdered by Sylar
- Virginia Gray—killed in a struggle with her son Gabriel, her blood used for fingerpainting
- Paulette Hawkins—son wrongly convicted and later killed; taken by the Company and later shot by the Kill Squad
- Sabine Hazel —tricked by the Company, lied to by Hartsdale duplicate, witnessed Julien Dumont's death
- Bianca Karina—murdered by Sylar
- Sue Landers—murdered by Sylar
- Connie Logan—tricked by the Company, husband imprisoned and experimented upon; witnessed her daughter's death; shot in the torso by the Kill Squad
- Penny Logan—shot in the head by the Kill Squad
- Lydia—death arranged by Samuel
- Eden McCain—abused and abandoned by her father, abused by her stepmother, former addict and thief, committed suicide when assaulted by Sylar
- Daphne Millbrook —shot by Homeland Security agents, removed from medical facility by Danko, dies from sepsis
- Angela Petrelli—handed her son's "dead" body, attacked by an unseen enemy, nearly killed by own son.
- Heidi Petrelli—crippled in an accident, spousal infidelity
- Piper—the Company separated her at birth from her sister, took her as a teenager for testing, and then brainwashed her into forgetting her sister ever existed
- Niki Sanders—abused as a child, alcoholic, forced to strip by Linderman's thugs, assaulted by Linderman's henchman, forced into non-consensual sex with Nathan Petrelli by her alter-ego, possibly psychotic, imprisoned in a padded cell, finally "trapped" in a mirror by Jessica, repeatedly beaten by Candice (mimicking Jessica). Also, killed in warehouse explosion.
- Dale Smither—murdered by Sylar
- Karen Sprague—dead from cancer due to husband's powers
- Shanti Suresh—first victim of the Shanti virus
- Linda Tavara's informant—murdered by Linda Tavara
- Manuel's girlfriend—her boyfriend is kidnapped and her memory is erased
- Lori Tremmel—raped by Brody Mitchum
- Molly Walker—parents brutally murdered, nearly abducted by Sylar, held at gunpoint by Mr. Bennet, emotionally hurt by seeing the various assaults of her fellow evolved humans, terrorized in her dreams by an unseen foe.
- Mrs. Walker—pinned to a wall and murdered by Sylar
- Jackie Wilcox—murdered by Sylar
- Candice Willmer—punched by Niki Sanders, killed by Sylar
- Dr. Witherson—attacked by Jessica
- Jamie Wu—murdered by an unknown assailant
List of Victimized Male Characters
For purposes of comparison, the following male characters have been subjected to physical, psychological, emotional, or sexual violence.
- Lyle Bennet—brainwashed by orders of his father, witnessed his sister's "death"
- Noah Bennet—thrown against a cell wall by Sylar, shot in the abdomen (and mindwiped) by The Haitian, shot in the eye by Mohinder Suresh
- Ryan Covington—pulled through a window by his mirror image in a recurring dream
- Crash—driven insane by Betty's illusions
- Gael Cruz—injured during the capture of The German, murdered by Sylar.
- Cushing—shot by Devin, framed for Jamie Wu's murder by evsdropr
- Brian Davis—bludgeoned to death by Gabriel
- Charles Deveaux—spends the first episodes of the series dying
- Julien Dumont—held captive in a level five Company holding cell, forced to generate duplicates, shot dead by Bianca.
- Hartsdale duplicate—shot in leg and then murdered by Sabine Hazel
- Evan—a number of his replicants were killed by Adam
- D.L. Hawkins—framed by Jessica for theft and murder, falsely imprisoned, beaten and shot in the chest by Jessica, shot by Linderman, killed by Skanky guy
- Daniel Linderman—pressured into action by Dallas, Punched repeatedly by Dallas, killed by D.L. Hawkins
- Aron Malsky—brutally murdered by Jessica
- Ando Masahashi—severely beaten by the high roller's thugs; injured in shootout between Hope and Steve Gustavson, neck cut by Sylar, dies in alternate timeline
- Isaac Mendez—kidnapped by the Company, forced to use heroin by Eden, brainwashed, emotionally disturbed by Candice, murdered by Sylar
- Brody Mitchum—car wrecked by Claire, mind-wiped by the Haitian, seriously handicapped by car crash
- Jesse Murphy—kidnapped by the Company, had present Peter inserted into his body, murdered by Sylar.
- Hiro Nakamura—Stranded in the past after Arthur stole his ability and threw him off a building.
- Matt Parkman—kidnapped by the Company, painfully handcuffed by Audrey, cuckolded, thrown out a window, knocked out by Mohinder, backfired by Sylar, trapped in a psychological nightmare by his own father, teleported to a desert in Africa by Peter Petrelli from the future, girlfriend murdered by Danko
- Maury Parkman—trapped in a psychological nightmare by his son, neck snapped telekinetically by Arthur Petrelli
- Arthur Petrelli—shot by sniper, career damaged by Linderman's actions, poisoned by Angela shot dead by his son, Peter
- Nathan Petrelli—punched by Peter, abducted by Mr. Bennet; forced into a car accident by Mr. Linderman's men, scarred and hospitalized by Peter, shot by a future version of Peter, murdered by Sylar
- Peter Petrelli—thrown into pillar by Nathan's bodyguards, portrayed by Nathan as being depressed and/or insane, held his girlfriend Simone as she died from gunshot wounds, attacked by Sylar, repeatedly beaten and thrown off building by Claude, "killed" by Claude and Sylar, captured and imprisoned by the Company for four months, coercively electrified by Elle in a sexual manner, mind wiped by The Haitian, lost his girlfriend Caitlin in an alternate timeline, trapped in the body of Jesse Murphy by a future version of himself, psychologically overwhelmed by the acquisition of Sylar's power, having his powers taken away from him by his own father
- Jason Pierce—killed from gunshot by Rachel Mills when he tries to get her to let him turn her in
- Claude Rains—kidnapped by Mr. Bennet, tagged and possibly brainwashed in the past, shot repeatedly by Mr. Bennet, thrown off a roof by Peter
- West Rosen—abducted and tagged by the company at a younger age
- Hal Sanders—beaten and threatened by Jessica
- Micah Sanders—arm smashed by Jessica, witnessed attack on Niki Sanders, kidnapped by Linderman, forced to commit crime by Candice, seen father grievously harmed twice, psychological trauma of being separated (both temporarily and permanently) from his parents
- Theodore Sprague—kidnapped by the Company, widowed, shot by Thompson, murdered by Sylar
- Chandra Suresh—killed by Sylar
- Sylar—kidnapped by the Company, drugged to near death; drugged and tortured by Mohinder Suresh; shot at by Matt Parkman, Mr. Bennet, and Mohinder Suresh, hit with parking meter by Niki Sanders, beaten by Peter twice, stabbed by Hiro, infected by the company with the Shanti virus, poisoned by Maya a few times, electrocuted by Elle numerous times, drugged by the company numerous times, throat slit by Noah, manipulated by Angela Petrelli and Arthur Petrelli for their own personal needs.
- Zane Taylor—murdered by Sylar
- James Walker—killed by Sylar
- Zach—brainwashed by order of Mr. Bennet, teased by Jackie Wilcox
Character connections • Child vs. parent • Death • Faith and religion • Family • Fate vs. free will • Heroism • Irony • Logic vs. emotion • Loneliness • Loyalty vs. treachery • Moral ambiguity • One punch knockout • Pressure of responsibility • Revenge • Sacrifice • Secrets and deception • Special • Women in Refrigerators
|See Also: References|
Chiro • Clach • Clacy • Eclaire • Flox • Gabrielle • Hirondo • Hithan • Maphne • Maudrey • Mayinder • MMM • Murtle • Nissica • Noangela • Paire • Pelle • Pemma • Peter vs. Sylar • Petlin • Samgar • Saya • Sydia • Syhindlar • Syko • Sylaire • Syluke • Syro • Sythan • Trathan • Tricah • Troah • Waire
|Stories and Parody|
|Toys and Games|
|See Also: Speculation • Theories|