The Ayers Rock
The Commonwealth of Australia is a country in the southern hemisphere comprising the mainland of the world's smallest continent, the major island of Tasmania, and a number of other islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. It is the only country that is also considered a continent, and it is the Earth's smallest continent.
- Nat & Noo Hotel (in Canberra, Australia)
- Sydney, Australia
- According to Greg Beeman in the episode commentary for Fight or Flight, Bob Bishop has spent a lot of time in Australia, as evidenced by a didgeridoo in his office.
- In Saving Charlie, Hiro says that the Aborigines in Australia bend time and space when they enter Dreamtime. (Chapter 3)
- The name "Australia" is derived from the Latin Australis, meaning "Southern". It is said that the name Australia originally came from the Spanish man Pedro Fernández de Quirós whose travels around the southern seas brought him close to the lands he named "Australia del Espiritu Santo" in honor of the House of Austria, which, at the time, governed the Spanish Empire.
- Governor Lachlan Macquarie of British New South Wales subsequently used the word in his dispatches to England, and on December 12, 1817, recommended to the Colonial Office that it be officially adopted. In 1824, the Admiralty agreed that the continent should be known officially as "Australia".
- Australia has had an indigenous population since 42,000 to 48,000 years ago. The first recorded European sighting of the Australian mainland was made by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, who sighted the coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606.
- British settlement of Australia began with the Port Jackson penal colony in 1788 in New South Wales. Today, the country of Australia remains a British Commonwealth.
- Until 1840, Australia also included the islands of New Zealand.
- For other uses of Australia, see Australia (disambig).
- Australia History at Wikipedia
- Google Map of Australia
- Official Site of the Australian Commonwealth Government
- Official Site for Australian Travel and Tourism Australia
Afghanistan • Alaska • Albany, OR • Annapolis, MD • Antarctica • Arizona • Atlanta, GA • Au Co's village • Australia • Billings, MT • Black Hawk, CO • Bradford, England • Carlsbad, NM • Cape Town, South Africa • Central American town • Cody, WY • Congo • Coronado, CA • Côte d'Azur, France • Denver, CO • Germany • Goa, India • Guyana • Haitian village • Hiroshima, Japan • Hong Kong, China • Israel • Ithaca, NY • Kingsland, AR • Lake Arrowhead, CA • Levittown, NY • Londonderry Township, PA • Memphis, TN • Milan, Italy • Missoula, MT • Northfork, CT • Paro, Bhutan • Peach Pit, GA • Pittsburgh, PA • Port Arlesburgh • Savannah, GA • Silver River, WV • Tanzania • Vietnam • Waterbury, CT • Youngstown, OH
|Related Graphic Novel Portals: Characters • Issues • Places|