Back Dorm Boys
|Back Dorm Boys|
Two karaoke singers dressed in basketball jerseys reference a popular internet fad.
As Hiro and Ando sit in a karaoke bar, two young men are singing. They are dressed in red basketball jerseys and singing "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. Though the singers in the bar are probably Japanese, they closely resemble in the Back Dorm Boys, two amateur Chinese students who gained moderate Internet fame with their lip synched version of "I Want It That Way" and other pop songs.
- In the DVD audio commentary for the unaired pilot, Tim Kring confirms that the reference to the Back Dorm Boys was intentional, noting the consistency of details such as the song, the jerseys, and one singer's arm being in a cast. As well, the scene in Genesis was expanded to show more of the Back Dorm Boys. In the unaired pilot, there are no closeups of the duo--they are just shown in the background of the karaoke bar.
- The Back Dorm Boys consist of Wei Wei ("the big one") and Huang Yi Xin ("the small one"). A third student, Xiao Jing ("dorm boy"), is in the background of most of the videos.
- The duo on Heroes wear Houston Rockets jerseys. One singer sports a head band and the other has a cast on his left arm. The one with the cast is portrayed by Nick Endres. While on location and getting fitted for wardrobe, Nick jokingly asked, "Which one of us will be wearing the cast?" because it would determine which verse each actor sang. And then the wardrobe department found a cast for Nick to wear.
- Back Dorm Boys perform "I Want It That Way" - Google Video
- Heroes's tribute to the Back Dorm Boys - YouTube
- Back Dorm Boys - Official Site (Chinese)
- Karaoke - Wikipedia
- Backstreet Boys - Official Site
|Other References: References to Books and Authors • References to Comics • References to Films • References to Games • References to Heroes • References to Television • References to People • Miscellaneous References|