Heroes Wiki is shutting down permanently on June 1 2020. For more information please see here.
Burnt Toast Diner
|Burnt Toast Diner|
The Burnt Toast Diner is a diner in Midland, TX. Sheriff Davidson and his deputy Lloyd frequent this diner. Charlie worked there hoping to earn enough money to travel the world. It is open 24 hours a day.
- 1 Notable Employees
- 2 Notable Visitors
- 3 About
- 3.1 Seven Minutes to Midnight
- 3.2 Homecoming
- 3.3 Six Months Ago
- 3.4 Fallout
- 3.5 The Fix
- 3.6 Graphic Novel:Road Kill
- 3.7 .07%
- 3.8 Five Years Gone
- 3.9 Villains
- 3.10 Graphic Novel:Scenic Route
- 3.11 Tabula Rasa
- 3.12 Once Upon a Time in Texas
- 3.13 Shadowboxing
- 3.14 Pass/Fail
- 3.15 Graphic Novel:Reaching Out, Part 1
- 3.16 Brave New World
- 4 Heroes Evolutions
- 5 Memorable Quotes
- 6 Notes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External Links
- 9 Gallery
- Charlie Andrews
- Andy (in a possible future)
- Merle Eckels (former employee)
- Erika (former employee)
- Hiro Nakamura (for a time)
- "Sandra" (Claire Bennet in a possible future)
- Barbie Travis (deceased)
- A waitress
- Noah Bennet
- Burnt Toast Diner patron
- Lloyd Collins
- Sheriff Davidson
- Lauren Gilmore
- Ando Masahashi
- Isaac Mendez
- Hiro Nakamura
- Matt Parkman
- Angela Petrelli
- Peter Petrelli
- Ted Sprague
- Tracy Strauss
- Samuel Sullivan
Hiro and Ando eat at this diner during their "mission". A man at another table telekinetically pulls a mug towards him. He is wearing a broken watch — it is Sylar. Unbeknownst to the two men visiting from Tokyo, Sylar watches them and Charlie. Later, a waitress finds Charlie murdered in a back room, her head sliced open. Sylar is nowhere to be found.
Hiro attempts to convince Charlie that he is from the future and trying to save her life. He uses his power to impress her, but later, in real time, Hiro tells Ando that he cannot use his power to change the past.
After picking up Isaac at the bus depot, Ando and Hiro go back to the diner with the clairvoyant painter. As they sit at a booth, they discuss major events of their lives so far (including Hiro's trip to the future, Isaac's future brain removal, and the impending explosion. Isaac shows the two Japanese men a sketch that came true, depicting Hiro and Charlie talking together in the diner. Isaac then tells them about the painting of the exploding man.
Claire and Zach come to the diner and use Zach's laptop to find information on Claire's biological parents. It is here that they learn of an apartment fire that occurred fourteen years earlier in Kermit, TX. Though the article claims that a woman, Meredith Gordon, and her 18-month-old daughter died in the fire, Claire and Zach hope that this could lead her to any relatives who may know of her biological father.
In the future, Claire Bennet (known as "Sandra") is a waitress at the Burnt Toast Diner. Her father comes in to warn her that she needs to run away again, but she does not flee in time to escape Matt Parkman, who captures her there.
In the Burnt Toast Diner, Tracy and Angela discuss Tracy's involvement with the specials training facility. Tracy tells Angela that not all abilities are as positive has her's. She then guilt-trips Angela into giving her money, implying her that if her sister had a place like it rather than Coyote Sands, she would be better off. Angela gives Tracy a cheque and then leaves. Tracy receives a call from Lauren Gilmore.
Charlie tells Hiro that's it's been 65 years since she has seen him at the Burnt Toast Diner. She explains that when Arnold took her, she had just run outside the Burnt Toast Diner and that's where he took her.
In Claire's fourth MySpace post, "Homecoming", Claire asks if anyone else has heard about the murder that happened at the Burnt Toast Diner and thinks that it is crazy that something like that could happen so close to Odessa.
In Zach’s ninth MySpace post, “Rumors”, Zach claims that rumors must be true that Jackie Wilcox was murdered at the homecoming game. Zach says that people believe it was the same murderer who killed the Burnt Toast waitress the week before.
In Zach’s tenth MySpace post, “Seriously Freaking Out”, Zach says that he is going to go eat at the Burnt Toast Diner and wonders if someone will be there to desecrate the memorial to the waitress that was murdered there. He says this in response to people desecrating Jackie's memorial.
- In a post called "Kitty Pride" [sic], Hiro time travels to what he thinks is one day in the past, and sits in the Burnt Toast Diner, happy that Charlie is alive.
- In a post called "Who Am I?", Hiro traces his path to where he is now — a path that includes going to the Burnt Toast Diner six months in the past.
- Hiro preens in front of a mirror in the diner, thinking about Charlie. (Chapter 1)
- Hiro and Ando stop at the diner after a long road trip. They meet Charlie, have breakfast, and are present when Charlie is murdered. (Chapter 2)
- Sheriff Davidson asks questions of people who are at the diner, and paramedics wheel Charlie's corpse out of the diner. (Chapter 4)
- Hiro time travels six months in the past, and meets Charlie (again) in the diner. Guests and employees celebrate Charlie's birthday party. (Chapter 6)
- Hiro walks the short distance from the Midland Motor Lodge to the diner. Charlie has made a help wanted sign to replace Daniel, and has taped the sign in the front window of the diner. Hiro applies for the job and meets Lynette, who welcomes him to the "Burnt Toast family". (Chapter 9)
- Hiro enjoys his first afternoon as a busboy at the diner, greeting customers and making friends. (Chapter 11)
- Charlie says that her aunt Erika, who raised her, worked at the diner, so "everyone there became my family". (Chapter 13)
- Hiro says that his time working at the diner is some of the best time of his life. He sees how important Charlie is to everyone, that she is the "glittering, beating heart" of the diner. Even though Hiro is a busser, he helps out with the wait staff's shift work, and the wait staff tip out 10% to Hiro of what they make. (Chapter 15)
- After work, Hiro goes to Charlie's apartment. There, he sees a picture of the Burnt Toast Diner at its grand opening in 1976. Charlie tells Hiro about the horrible tragedy that happened to Barbie Travis, a waitress, soon after the diner opened. (Chapter 16)
- Hiro brainstorms how to keep Charlie away from the diner the day of her murder. (Chapter 17)
- Hiro wonders how he can tell Charlie to stay away from the diner on October 9, 2006, and just not tell her why. (Chapter 18)
- In an attempt to show Charlie that he has a superpower, Hiro stops time and does all of Charlie's waitress duties. (Chapter 19)
- As Charlie puts away cans of fruit cocktail into the diner's storeroom, Hiro idly plays with a customer's discarded lunch receipt. In an attempt to convince Charlie of his powers, Hiro fills the diner with 1000 origami cranes. The he accidentally teleports out of the diner. (Chapter 20)
- Hiro arrives at the diner on June 29 and watches the employees go about their daily business. He walks in expecting a triumphant welcome, but is instead greeted coldly. (Chapter 22)
- Hiro comes to, and presumes that Bob and Lynette have left. Charlie tends to him, and they talk. Hiro freezes time, then carries Charlie out of the diner, back to her apartment. (Chapter 23)
- Hiro thinks he has figured out a way to keep Charlie away from the diner on the day the Brain Man comes. He even considers burning down the diner. (Chapter 27)
- Charlie and Hiro work all day at the diner, Charlie skipping lunch. They leave the diner and go to Charlie's apartment. (Chapter 28)
- Hiro moons over Charlie while marrying ketschups. (Chapter 29)
- After spending weeks in isolation waiting for time to "catch up" with him, Hiro bursts through the diner doors excited to see Charlie, but disappointed to see that she is at the hospital. (Chapter 35)
- After Hiro accidentally time travels away, Charlie tells Hiro that she had to figure out a cover story to tell the folks at the diner. Then she leaves and says that she will see Hiro at work. (Chapter 36)
- Charlie and Hiro work together at the diner. Even though they have Wednesdays off and usually spend Tuesday nights together, Charlie leaves on this particular Tuesday with Lloyd. (Chapter 37)
- At the diner's counter, Hiro prays for death. Instead, Lynette drives him home. (Chapter 38)
- Hiro teleports from Yamagato to a booth in the diner, ready for breakfast. (Chapter 40)
- Hiro realizes that the diner looks significantly different than normal: he sees a fresh coat of paint, the tables at odd angles, and the stools covered in vinyl. He meets the waitress Barbie Travis and realizes that he has time traveled to 1976, when the diner first opened. (Chapter 41)
- Hiro teleports to the men's bathroom of the diner. He asks for Charlie, but Lynette says that it's Wednesday, the day both Charlie and Hiro have off. (Chapter 42)
"No wonder everyone in America is so fat. All there is to eat is waffles and french fries."
- Though the sign on the window says "Burnt Toast Cafe", the characters (and the screen text) refer to the establishment as "Burnt Toast Diner".
- In .07%, Mr. Bennet recommends the cherry pie to Matt and Ted, indicating that he has most likely visited before. It was later confirmed that he had in Once Upon a Time in Texas. The mention of the diner's cherry pie may be a reference to Twin Peaks, whose character "Dale Cooper" loved the "damn fine" cherry pie served at the Double R Diner.
- According to Saving Charlie, Lynette is the manager of the Burnt Toast Diner.
- The Burnt Toast Diner is named after the Burnt Toast Restaurant in Boulder, Colorado, which is owned by Tim Kring's brother, Buddy.
- The diner's street address is 143. (Homecoming)
- According to an Inside Heroes video, the set for Wandering Rocks was built in the same location as the Burnt Toast Diner's set. According to the commentary for Angels and Monsters, the set was later used to film scenes at the "specials for hire" bar. All three sets were built on the Universal backlot.
- According to an NBC auction, the BTD menu includes items such as waffles, ham and eggs, pancakes, burgers and fries, sundaes, pies, and ice cream.
- The diner opened in 1976. (Saving Charlie, Chapter 16)
- The diner is three miles from Charlie's apartment. (Saving Charlie, Chapter 42)
Charlie waits on Sheriff Davidson at the Burnt Toast Diner.
The diner displays a bulletin board of photographs, including one from Charlie's birthday party.
A sketch depicts Charlie greeting Hiro and Ando, and then Hiro and Charlie talking at the diner.
Ads for the diner are found in Odessa, TX.
In Hiro's hallucination, the Burnt Toast Diner is a court room.
Tracy and Angela have dinner at the Burnt Toast Diner.
(Reaching Out, Part 1)