|First mentioned:||The Second Coming|
|Date of event:||2007 - 2011|
The "exposed future" refers to several timelines in which the existence of evolved humans is exposed to the the world, and the formula that gives people abilities is accessible by the general public. This future has been presumably averted now that the formula has been destroyed, Arthur killed and Pinehearst and The Company destroyed.
- Nathan telling the world about the existence of evolved humans.
- Camps being set up to hold evolved humans.
- People conducting experiments on evolved humans.
- Peter going into hiding.
- Peter having the ability of illusion and possession.
- Peter getting a scar across his face.
- According to her pin, Claire works for Pinehearst.
- Future Hiro acquires the formula.
- Future Ando uses his ability to kill Future Hiro, then takes the formula.
- Tokyo is destroyed as buildings collapse.
In the present day, Future Peter attempts to create a string web to return to his future. Angela comes into Peter's apartment and asks why he hasn't returned to where he came. Peter tells her that he's busy saving the world, and can't go back yet. Angela tells future Peter that by stopping Nathan's press conference he has let Sylar take Claire's ability. A chain of events happens because of this and eventually lets twelve evolved humans from Level 5 escape. She refers to this change as "the butterfly effect."
Future Peter and Present Peter teleport four years into the future, where people fly and everyone can have abilities. During his time in the future, and through Matt's dream, many people are now in different situations than before:
- Matt has married Daphne, they have a daughter, Daniella, and have adopted Molly.
- Daphne, Claire, Knox, and the Haitian are part of an organization that hunts down "villains".
- Peter is known as a terrorist and murderer.
- Nathan is married to Tracy and is now the President of the United States. He is aware of the paintings that prophesy of the Earth's destruction, and has Congress create an army of people with abilities.
- Sylar (now going by Gabriel) is raising his son Noah in Costa Verde, and is trying to control his murderous appetite.
- Mohinder, a recluse, has mutated further and covers his face. He lives in the darkness of his lab.
After a terrorist attack at the Pinehearst Company three years in the future, Claire tries to hunt down the leaders of the attack. At the terrorists' headquarters, she finds her uncle, who is the mastermind of the terror group. After he disappears, she swears revenge on him for what he did.
While confronting his father, Peter tells him that giving out abilities will destroy the world. Arthur believes its just Peter's own opinion, but Peter tells Arthur "I've seen it", referencing his trip into the exposed future.
- Angela has two dreams which foretell possible futures. In one, she sees the destruction of the Level 5 escapees and learns of several other "villains". In another, she learns of her husband's return.
- Writers Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite confirmed that the futures from which Peter comes, the future Hiro sees, and the future of which Angela dreams, are all the same future.
- For alternate future timelines, see Timeline:Possible Futures.
Please refer to Theory:Exposed future for fan-created theories and other speculation.