Graphic novel collections
|Graphic novel collections|
The Heroes comics are periodically bound and published in hardbound books. These graphic novel collections are published by Wildstorm.
Published by Wildstorm, a publishing imprint of DC Comics, the first graphic novel collection houses the graphic novels of Season One, Issues #1-34 (Monsters through The Death of Hana Gitelman, Part 2) at a cost of $24.99. It has a total of 240 pages, bound in hardcover. Sales began on November 7, 2007. A softcover version went on sale May 21, 2008 at a cost of $19.99. In addition to the reproduction of the online novels, the collection features two different covers by Jim Lee and Alex Ross. The collection includes an introduction from Masi Oka, and copies of Tim Sale's artwork as seen on Heroes.
Much of the design of the collection is credited to JG Roshell of Comicraft. He decided to follow the basic design of 9thWonders.com, making the interior look like the "classic silver age comics, including aging the pages as if the comics have been around for years." To prevent the long list of credits from being boring, he made the credits look like "those old classified ads for x-ray specs and whatnot" with clip art from Mostly Happy Clip Art of the 30'S, 40'S, and 50's. The introduction is made to look like a "Bullpen Bulletins" page, and the interview at the end is designed to look like a letters column. The chapters are divided by Tim Sale's art from the show, presented as fake "covers" to 9th Wonders! comics. 
Volume 2 of the graphic novel collection is also published by Wildstorm, and was released on November 19, 2008. It consists of Issues #35-80 (It Takes a Village, Part 1 through Moonlight Serenade). The color hardcover book has 272 pages and costs $29.99. The softcover version was released on May 26, 2009 and costs $19.99. The cover art for Volume 2 was created by Gene Ha.
- It was originally announced that the collection would include issues 1-43. That seems to have been a mistake.
- The sales date for the collection was originally announced to be October 24, 2007. On September 10, DC Comics changed the sales date to November 7 without explanation.
- Proceeds from purchasing or preordering the graphic novel collection using the link at the bottom-left of this site will benefit Heroes Wiki. See here for more information on how the proceeds are used.
- Each novel is prefaced by a 9th Wonders! cover, based on Tim Sale's artwork.
- According to Comic Book Resources, the graphic novel collection was the top item on the list of trades sold in November 2007; an estimated 26,151 units were sold in that month alone. In fact, the collection ranks as the fifth best premiere for a trade after Sandman: Endless Nights (September 2003 with 41,200 units), Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth (November 2001 with 32,786 units), JLA: Secret Origins (November 2002 with 31,695 units) and JLA: Liberty & Justice (November 2003).
- John Roshell was nominated for an Eisner Award in 2008 for his design of the graphic novel collection.
- Vol. 2 was released on November 19, 2008 and covers Graphic Novels 35-80.
There are two Volume 1 covers: one by Alex Ross...
...the other by Jim Lee.
The credits follow 9thWonders.com's old fashioned design, mimicking old classified ads from the 1930s and beyond.
...both created by Gene Ha.
- Wildstorm Vol. 1 sales page at DC Comics.com
- Softcover version at DC Comics.com
- Wildstorm Vol. 2 sales page at DC Comics.com
- Vol. 2 sales page at Amazon.com
- Press release from NBC.com regarding Vol. 1
- Article by John Roshell about the collection's design
- USA Today article
Action figures • Comic-Con • Countdown to the Premiere • eBook • Enigma (walkthrough) • Gemini • Graphic novel collections • Helix Comics • Heroes Reborn DVD • Heroes World Tour • The Mobile Game • The Official Magazine • Original Soundtrack • Season One DVD • Season Two DVD • Season Three DVD • Season Four DVD • Some People Are Born to Be Extraordinary • Super Bowl XLIII commercials • Trading cards
|See Also: Heroes • NBC • Nissan • Product placement • Production|