|Date of birth||1 May 1956|
|Origin||Ithaca, NY, USA|
Tim Sale is an American comic book artist who serves as a staff artist and artistic consultant for the show Heroes. He is the artist who creates the art for Isaac's paintings (including the 9th Wonders! comics and Isaac's sketches), Peter's paintings, Arthur's drawings and Usutu's paintings. He also provided much of the interstitial art for the graphic novel collection.
Tim began his career inking Phil Folio on Warp Graphics's MythAdventures. His next big break came when he worked with Matt Wagner on the popular independent comic Grendel, but is probably most well known for his collaborations with Jeph Loeb. In 1991 they paired up to revamp the classic 1950's series Challengers of the Unknown. The pair went on to team up for projects like Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special, Superman For All Seasons, Catwoman: When In Rome, Spider-Man: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, and Hulk: Gray.
- In one of Hiro's blog entries, Hiro wonders if all comic books list the author's address--if so, he needs to buy an X-Men comic so he can meet Tim Sale.
- Tim Sale is colorblind, and all of his works for Heroes are created in black, white, and gray. The illustrations for Isaac's paintings are then digitally colored by a colorist, textured to look like they were painted, and then printed on canvas.
- Tim Sale: "I’ve done maybe 20 paintings for the show and 30 comic book panels, not counting the comic that was given away as a promotion in San Diego. I should say right away, that the “paintings” are not actually paintings, they are wash drawings on comic book paper, about 11″x17″, that are then colored by the amazing Dave Stewart on a computer, and then blown up and transferred to canvas — except for the canvas part, just like Catwoman: When In Rome was produced." -- November 14, 2006
- The episode credits and character/place identifiers are all written in "Tim Sale Brush font", created by Tim Sale. Beginning with Collision, the chapter titles and numbers were also written in the font.
- Candice brings Micah several comic books, including Hulk: Gray and Daredevil: Yellow (Landslide), both of which were illustrated by Tim Sale.
- Tim Sale did a number of promotional pieces for comic book conventions, including depictions of Nathan, Peter, Niki/Jessica, Claire, Hiro, Simone, and Uluru. Conspicuously absent are other main characters Isaac Mendez, Matt Parkman, and D.L. Hawkins.
- Tim has a dog named Hotspur. Though he said he didn't think that the car rental agency was named for the dog, Oliver Grigsby seems to think it was.
- Tim and series producer Jeph Loeb teamed up and created the graphic novel Batman: The Long Halloween. This was one of the inspirations for 2008's The Dark Knight.
- On April 19, 2009, Tim Sale contributed his art to the Heroes for Autism fundraiser.
Tim Sale produced a number of Heroes illustrations that were used as covers for promotional materials at comic book conventions and other venues.
Tim also produced a flash animation, entitled Claire & the Cat, as a promotion for the series.
Creating Isaac's paintings
...which is colored by Dave Stewart and printed on canvas.
Tim Sale has created numerous pieces of art at various Comic-Cons, including:
At the WizardWorld Convention in March 2007, Tim sketched Hiro...
At the 2007 San Diego Comic Con, Tim Sale sketched Sylar...
...Hiro and the Dinosaur...
...and a shirt for Jack Coleman.
Tim Sale illustrated the script for the unaired pilot.
Ali Larter posed for a picture for Tim...
Sendhil Ramamurthy poses...
A reference still from The Line...
...which eventually became the sixth in a series of eight.
This was the first image Tim Sale ever sketched of his alter ego.
Tim created a drawing of the explosion...
...split into five sections for five Entertainment Weekly covers.
Tim Sale's personal collection includes a finished version of one of Isaac's paintings.
Tim acts as a Honduran police sketch artist.
Tim's original sketch of the Montreal painting had to be reworked to match the exterior of a set piece that was already built.
It was decided that the image of the Montreal scene should be flipped. The street signs were added with Photoshop.
Heroes Characters Portraits
Following are Tim Sale's renditions of some Heroes characters:
- For more of Tim Sale's artwork as used on Heroes, see Isaac's paintings, Peter's paintings, Usutu's paintings, Arthur's drawings, or 9th Wonders!
- For more of Tim Sale's promotional art work, see Claire & the Cat.
- For the work Tim Sale did on Heroes trading cards, see here.
- For Tim Sale's promotional 9th Wonders! and Heroes comics covers, see Helix Comics.
- For the artist whose work became Sylar's paintings, see Alex Maleev.
- Official Website
- Tim Sale's message board
- Tim Sale — Wikipedia
- Article about Tim Sale's work on Heroes — New York Post
- Interview — ComicBookResources.com
- Interview with Tim Sale at comic-con.org, 05/07
- Tim Sale discusses his artwork on Inside Heroes
- Tim Sale talks about his TV Guide cover, 11/6/07
- Article featuring Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb at MTV.com, 11/6/07
- Article featuring Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb at Comic Book Resources, 11/19/07
- Interview with Tim Sale (Part 1, Part 2) at USA Today, 3/26/08
- Interview with Tim Sale (Part 1, Part 2) at House Petrelli, 11/3/08
Dena Allen (set decorator) • Ruth Ammon (production designer) • Ross Anderson (propmaster) • Victor Anderson (propmaker) • John Aronson (director of photography) • Michael Budge (art director) • James Clark (propmaster) • Raymond Consing (storyboard artist) • Diane Crooke (costume supervisor) • Walter Eckert (art department coordinator) • Maggie Ellis (set costumer) • Ron Franco (set decorator) • Sandy Getzler (art director) • Nate Goodman (director of photography) • Laura Guzik (costume supervisor) • Bruce Hill (art director) • Christopher Isenegger (art department coordinator) • Matthew Jacobs (art director) • Adam Kane (director of photography) • Peter Kang (set dresser) • Emily Lawless (painter) • Cesar Lemus (storyboard artist) • Charlie Lieberman (director of photography) • R. Scott Loughran (art department coordinator) • Alex Maleev (artist) • Debra McGuire (costume designer) • John Newby (director of photography) • Gay Perello (props master) • Dave Perkal (director of photography) • Chandler Poling (set decoration coordinator) • Rebecca Rosenthal (props) • Bob Ross (set dresser) • Tim Sale (artistic consultant) • Burk Sauls (colorist) • Curtis Schnell (production designer) • Crista Schneider (set decorator) • Dave Stewart (colorist) • Tom Taylor (art director) • Alun Vick (construction coordinator) • Daniel Vivanco (art director) • Dan Walton (set dresser) • Paul Walton (paint foreman)
|Other GN Crew|
See Also: Assistants • Assistant Directors • Authors • Camera Operators • Directors • Editors • Effects Department • Hair and Makeup • Locations Department • Photographers • Producers • Sound and Music • Stand-Ins • Stunt Department • Writers • Other Crew Members • Reborn Crew • Graphic Novel Artists • Graphic Novel Colorists • Graphic Novel Writers • Webisodes Crew • Evolutions Crew • Countdown Crew • Cast